(#2 (permalink)) Old
Mallika Offline
HelpLINK Mentor

Regular TeenHelper

Name: Mallika

Points: 11,409, Level: 15 Points: 11,409, Level: 15 Points: 11,409, Level: 15

Re: I trusted him - August 7th 2020, 06:14 AM

Hello there,

Thank you so much for reaching out. I'm so sorry that you've had to go through so much hurt, frustration and confusion.

The sad reality is, sometimes the evil guy is not some distant person, but rather someone among those who are close to us i.e. family. It's shocking that someone who defended you in front of your ex-boyfriend would be the same person who'd commit such dreadful acts on you. It's natural for you to feel hurt and upset over this even though six years have passed; after all, a crime is a crime.

You've done your best at confronting him, and you've even broached the matter with his wife. That takes great courage on your part, so well-done! It's horrible that things haven't really changed though, and that he still doesn't seem to regret whatever he did. And it looks like the polygraph isn't reliable. Ultimately, you know the truth, so believe in your version of the story. There are a few things you can do:

- Had this happened with a man who wasn't family, I'd have asked you to report him to the police right away. But I understand that things might be difficult given that he's family and all. Yet, if you so wish, that is an option. Of course, it will muddy things within the family, but if you feel that it would be worth going to the police about this, then go for it.

- It seems like speaking to his wife is pointless, because you've done that before already. And from your description, she seems to be trivialising the matter, especially in front of the rest of the family. So rather than confronting them again, you can try this route instead:

I'm not one to advocate for revenge, not that you are considering this of course, because nothing good comes out of that and also because Karma is very real. Have you heard of this quote "Sit back and watch Karma do its thing,"? That's exactly what I'd advise you to do. As I've seen in my own life, the bad guys might gloat now, but the good will always have the last laugh.

Most importantly, I'd advise you to do something that will enable you to empower yourself. If you're schooling, work hard and excel at school. If you're working, work hard and make yourself successful. Either way, focus on your growth and development. When he sees you flourish, he will realise that his monstrous acts could never stop you. After all, why let him be the winner at the end of the day? When you focus on yourself, you aren't allowing anyone to get in your way, and that's probably the best way you can "get back" at him, without doing anything vengeful.

- Once you're at a better place in your life, send him and his wife a handwritten letter. Tell them that you've come a long way from that horrible night. Mention that you don't intend any bad fortune upon them, because that would make you as bad as them. Tell them that you really loved and trusted him as family, but you learnt it the hard way that even the closest can't always be trusted. And tell them that no matter how much people try covering up, the truth will always remain the truth. I think they'll get the message.

- If your other family mentions about why you aren't speaking with him, be bold and tell them the truth. Some people need to be exposed to learn their lesson.

I hope you're coping better these days. Incidents like these are unforgettable and their trauma tails us for years. You might want to look for some support groups in your area where people who've gone through similar experiences as you meet to share their stories and coping strategies. It might be beneficial to have a community you can speak with. Alternatively, speaking with a therapist is a good option too.

Take care, and remember, the good will always have the last laugh. Feel free to DM me if you'd like to talk about anything

Last edited by Mallika; August 8th 2020 at 01:01 AM.