View Single Post
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
ForeverAutumn* Offline
together, we are infinite.
Senior TeenHelper

Points: 17,267, Level: 19 Points: 17,267, Level: 19 Points: 17,267, Level: 19

Re: RAPE - May 9th 2009, 12:54 AM

Hi there, Heather,

First off, I just want to say I'm proud of you for having the strength to report the rape, I know that's not the easiest thing in the world to do.

I've never pressed charges personally but I do know a fair bit about the legal system. Yes, you will have to be present at the trial to give your testimony [basically telling what happened]. The attorney assigned to your case will help you go over your testimony before the trial date, they'll make it as easy for you as possible. During the trial you most likely will be cross-examined, which means the attorney for the defendant [the rapist] will ask you questions to try and discredit your story or parts of your story [this is because they'll be trying to protect their client as best as possible].

The website you found is right but also wrong, in a way - it's not necessarily because you were a minor and he was a legal adult, it's because you were under the legal age of consent [which is 18 anyway].

After the trial, if he's found guilty he'll probably end up in jail until the sentencing trial. The minimum sentence varies from state to state but if he already has a criminal record, the sentencing judge will be sure to take that into account when determining the sentence.

I know the trial might seem scary but try to keep calm, you're being incredibly brave about all of this. Don't be afraid to speak with the detective assigned to your case to learn more about what'll be happening, he'll want to make it as easy as possible for you. Let me know if you need anything, all right? Take good care of yourself, Heather.

how could anyone ever tell you, you are anything less than beautiful?| PM Me
self-harm free since 06.10.11.