(#4 (permalink)) Old
Mallika Offline
HelpLINK Mentor

Regular TeenHelper

Name: Mallika

Points: 11,409, Level: 15 Points: 11,409, Level: 15 Points: 11,409, Level: 15

Re: My friend told me that they are suicidal - September 21st 2020, 03:13 PM

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out. It is good that you are concerned about this individual's mental health. Your presence can greatly support them.

I think first and foremost, you could encourage them to meet a psychologist. I'm not sure if they have been diagnosed already, but a professional will be able to take the matter in their hands and direct therapy/treatment as required. If they have been previously diagnosed already, you could remind them to go for their therapy sessions regularly. You are very correct in feeling a sense of emergency and urgency if someone has reached a suicidal point, so seeking help is perhaps the best solution for this person.

Like Panda Solo said, when a loved one is going through such a difficult time, it might take a toll on us too, so please do take care of yourself. There are many ways you can unwind when the circumstances get too overwhelming, because your mental health is of paramount importance too.

Last but not the least, don't feel that their mental health is your responsibility. Yes, you definitely play a very supportive role in their life and it will go a long way in complementing their recovery, but ultimately it is up to the individual to take the right steps for themselves. You can do your best, but don't feel too pressurised to deal with the whole situation.

Take care!