Mallika Offline
HelpLINK Mentor

Regular TeenHelper

Name: Mallika

Points: 11,409, Level: 15 Points: 11,409, Level: 15 Points: 11,409, Level: 15

Re: School. - September 26th 2020, 12:46 PM

Hi Emma,

Thank you for reaching out about this.

I understand how daunting college can be. Exactly what aspect about college do you not like?

If it's the course/major/stream itself, is there a way you might be able to transfer to another course you prefer that is offered by the same college (i.e. so that you don't have to go to another college)? I know several people at my university who switched their major because something else tickled their fancy. Like Melancholia correctly pointed out, if you're not enjoying a particular stream, it's better to make a switch right at this point when you've just started out. You wouldn't want to be stuck for years with something you don't enjoy. The things we study at school/college should be something that motivates us, so if it is having the opposite effect, there is every reason to consider switching to another major. I have heard of people who switch to another college after their first year or so simply for this reason; it's never too late to pick up a thread you are keen on. Also, is dance your major or are you doing it as part of a student club/society?

Like the others here said, sometimes we need to get accustomed to the flow of things before we begin relishing it. College is one of those things - everything is different from what we were used to in school. From getting personalised attention from teachers at school, we're all of a sudden in big lecture theatres where no one knows another person. All of a sudden, you see your peers who were studious little kids back in school, now go clubbing. This is all very overwhelming, but in life we're often faced with changes. It will take some time to get used to, so don't worry too much. Give it some more time and see if you feel the same way. If you do, try to figure out exactly which aspect of college is making you feel this way and if there's any way you can fix it.

I had to move to a new country for college, learn to live in a dormitory with housemates, manage all my chores on my own while trying to get good grades. So I completely understand how different college life can be from what you were previously used to. But let me assure you that college will make you a resilient person and shape you immensely. You will get through these hard days

Take care and PM me if there's anything at all you'd like to chat about!