(#3 (permalink)) Old
Mallika Offline
HelpLINK Mentor

Regular TeenHelper

Name: Mallika

Points: 11,409, Level: 15 Points: 11,409, Level: 15 Points: 11,409, Level: 15

Re: Dating app photos and self-harm scars (TW) - October 9th 2020, 01:53 PM

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out! I think Rivière has given a great answer and I second it.

It is better to open about it from the beginning - not only for another potential partner to see - but even to yourself. Our scars are a part of us; concealing it on a dating site might be a reflection of our own insecurity about them. It starts with embracing yourself for who you are, first and foremost.

Media and popular culture condition us to think of a perfect girl or a boy... though that couldn't be further from the truth about what humanity really is. Nobody is perfect - we ALL have our stories, our scars, our deepest secrets. The joy is in finding someone who will be embracing of these things. If someone judges you for having "imperfections", ditch them right away

Along those lines, the person who is truly the one for you will see the person you are behind those scars and take genuine interest in you. So don't shy away from your own scars; they are a sign of your strength and fight against your inner demons. You're stronger than you give yourself credit for

Take care and DM me if you'd like to chat about anything!!