Mallika Offline
HelpLINK Mentor

Regular TeenHelper

Name: Mallika

Points: 11,409, Level: 15 Points: 11,409, Level: 15 Points: 11,409, Level: 15

Re: Taking a break - January 1st 2021, 01:33 PM

Hi Mikayla,

Thanks for reaching out. This is a very valid concern, and you're not alone

I think it's good that you and your friend/partner have decided to do this and to speak again on a set date. I know of this YouTube influencer couple who does this thing whereby they each take a solo trip/me-time away from each other for a set period of time every year (since they live together), simply for the purpose of recharging, working on themselves, etc. As much as we are social creatures, we all do need some time to work on ourselves. It's good to give yourselves some space to do this - we all need it. Regarding how it turns out after the break, I believe it is different for different people, and how well you want your relationship to be pan out also depends on commitment from both parties involved. There are no hard and fast outcomes with these sorts of things I guess. I'm hoping it will turn out well in your case

I think I'm going though a similar period with my best friend of 5 years, except that he kind of ghosted me out of the blue a couple of months back, leaving me wondering what's wrong. He got a girlfriend a while back and we were chatting normally, but all of a sudden, he's no longer talking to me. It doesn't help that we don't live in the same country. I've decided to let him have some space to figure things out (we're both people who need to be by ourselves every so often), and hope that he does contact me again.

When you meet your friend/partner again, I suggest having an open mind to the fact that certain aspects about them might have changed over this period of time that you were both taking a break. Embrace these changes and feel free to talk about things openly from your end too. After all, you both had mutually agreed to do this, which reflects that you both care about your relationship. Honest conversations are always the way forward with any sort of relationship

Feel free to reach out to me via PM or you can just reply through this thread, if you have any questions!

~ Seize each day and live it like your last ~

HelpLINK Mentor | Forum Moderator