Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 57,786, Level: 34 Points: 57,786, Level: 34 Points: 57,786, Level: 34

Re: Health and dealing with ADHD at college - January 5th 2021, 03:36 PM

Sorry for the late reply.

I have never taken strattera before, but a quick look online reveals that side effects can include upset stomach, nausea, and decreased appetite, all of which could lead to weight loss. I am unsure whether all other snris would have the same affect. All medications have potential side effects, but everyone is affected by them differently. But don't let the side effects put you off if you feel medication can help you. Best to talk with a professional about the side effects and perhaps they can help you come up with ways to manage the side effects too

I haven't been diagnosed with ADHD, so I can't speak from personal experience. However, when I was doing my Masters last year, I did speak with someone who medicated their child during school, but decided to let their child be unmedicated during the school holidays. I feel that the structure of school, and the social environment, can be difficult for those with ADHD, so being medicated may help with that. But then outside of school is a different story since you are able to control your environment and how you live your life, so you may feel that you do not need to be medicated during that time.

Routine is good! I think as well, making use of support or asking for support/adjustments, if you feel you need it. I know when I was in university, there is a student support that can make accommodations for those with learning difficulties. It can also help to keep in touch with your tutors and let them know if you need anything in particular from them, or whether or not you feel you are coping. For me, my tutor was going to phone me to talk me through my dissertation plan. But I feel really uncomfortable talking on the phone, so I mentioned that I prefer written communication and my tutor said that's fine and emailed me instead of phoning. Also, make sure you know your deadlines and are not stressing last minute- perhaps work on assignments bit by bit each day. And get plenty of sleep too!

Mentoring and Support Team Leader | Click here to volunteer