Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 57,742, Level: 34 Points: 57,742, Level: 34 Points: 57,742, Level: 34

Re: No solution - January 13th 2021, 06:12 PM

Hey Sue,

I'm wondering if there is anyone, such as a careers advisor at university, that you could talk to? I understand just getting through school and not really knowing what you want to do and hoping something comes to you later on. It can help to think of what you are interested in, but also what skills you have or what you find difficult. It can also help to look at different careers and jobs and see if anything grabs your attention. Doing these things and seeking advice from an advisor or friends and family, may help you to figure things out a bit more.

I also understand that sometimes universities focus a lot on the academic side whereas some people might prefer other ways of learning. I'm not sure where you are but it might be worth seeing if there are any apprenticeships in your area or anything that allows you to learn on the job. This type of learning may suit you better. Then again, if you are interested in a subject, but find certain aspects of university difficult, for example, reading and writing essays in a timely manner, you might want to get in touch with student support for advice.

If you think that graphic design or any artistic studies may be better for you, is it possible to research finance options to help pay the fees? Or what about studying in a different country if the universities are better?

I would only advise studying for studies sake if you are genuinely interested in the subject area but understand that you may not get related work. Otherwise, I do understand the dilemma that you are facing in that studying anything just for the sake of it may not be the best idea. But then again, it does seem like your work is tied to your student status at university. Would you be willing to be unemployed or get any job, if you were no longer a student? Or would you be more willing to continue studying just for your current work? If the latter, have you thought about options once you graduate (would you still be able to keep your job or not)?

While your future may seem uncertain at the moment, it doesn't necessarily mean that you will never have a stable future either. It can take some time to find what you want to do

Mentoring and Support Team Leader | Click here to volunteer