View Single Post
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I've been here a while

Name: Sarah

Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31

Re: Switzerland - January 23rd 2021, 09:53 PM

I can't imagine how difficult it must be fore you to be in another country and feel like you don't fit in. That said, I do think it's great that you made the push to live and work abroad, so that's a huge plus!

Have you considered using your hobbies as a way of reaching out to new people? You said you like to go out and get drink after work, so how about seeing if your co-workers are similar? Or what about visiting the local pub (if restrictions permit) and have a chat with some people there?

Besides those that you've mentioned, are there any other hobbies you may enjoy? What about gaming, being outdoors, driving? You may be able to mix with other people based on those sorts of hobbies and make friends that way.

Another thing to consider is looking into social clubs based around your hobbies. In another thread you mentioned that you drink beer, so what about seeing if there are any beer-tasting clubs around? Or clubs that revolve around alcohol in general? This way you'll have the alcohol to lighten the mood, and everybody will be as equally as chatty so you won't have to worry about feeling too awkward.

Another thing you could try, is to have a general chat with your co-workers and see what they may be able to suggest. If they're Swiss in nationality, they know the country best, and the local area, which means they may be able to help.