TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Housing and Moving This forum is for anything to do with your house, whether it's looking for a new place to live, completing repairs or if you're packing up your bags to relocate permanently.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Can you hear the silence?
Senior TeenHelper

Points: 26,546, Level: 23 Points: 26,546, Level: 23 Points: 26,546, Level: 23

Switzerland - January 23rd 2021, 07:05 PM

I live in Switzerland I am currently in England with family because of this Covid 19 rubbish.

Anyway I work in Switzerland I earn good money I have a nice place however I am miserable.
One thing I’ve found hard is the lack of knowing people all my friends in England hate my guts because I left. I am struggling to meet new people there

I don’t really enjoy clubs my only hobbies are my job and getting drunk I’m just a typical 24 year old lad I work in sales I work very hard then I often go out and get drunk straight after.

I just don’t have many friends out there and it’s driving me insane because the Swiss are very reserved then again the only friends I have in England bully me for money and use me ...
Fk my life ��

Last edited by bringmethehorizon♥; January 23rd 2021 at 07:35 PM.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I've been here a while

Name: Sarah

Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31

Re: Switzerland - January 23rd 2021, 09:53 PM

I can't imagine how difficult it must be fore you to be in another country and feel like you don't fit in. That said, I do think it's great that you made the push to live and work abroad, so that's a huge plus!

Have you considered using your hobbies as a way of reaching out to new people? You said you like to go out and get drink after work, so how about seeing if your co-workers are similar? Or what about visiting the local pub (if restrictions permit) and have a chat with some people there?

Besides those that you've mentioned, are there any other hobbies you may enjoy? What about gaming, being outdoors, driving? You may be able to mix with other people based on those sorts of hobbies and make friends that way.

Another thing to consider is looking into social clubs based around your hobbies. In another thread you mentioned that you drink beer, so what about seeing if there are any beer-tasting clubs around? Or clubs that revolve around alcohol in general? This way you'll have the alcohol to lighten the mood, and everybody will be as equally as chatty so you won't have to worry about feeling too awkward.

Another thing you could try, is to have a general chat with your co-workers and see what they may be able to suggest. If they're Swiss in nationality, they know the country best, and the local area, which means they may be able to help.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Points: 88,663, Level: 42 Points: 88,663, Level: 42 Points: 88,663, Level: 42

Re: Switzerland - January 24th 2021, 01:45 AM

Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear that you are not happy at the moment. Moving abroad can be difficult and I commend you for doing that. I know I definitely wouldn't be able to. I agree with Riviere in regards to maybe reaching out to people at work or in your local community (if COVID-19 permits you to) to connect with your hobbies.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?

Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 74,574, Level: 39 Points: 74,574, Level: 39 Points: 74,574, Level: 39

Re: Switzerland - January 24th 2021, 08:33 PM

Hey,

This situation sounds like an unpleasant one to be in and I'm sorry you're dealing with it. I can't imagine how difficult it must be to be in a new environment without the support of the people you care about back home to help you. It's disappointing and upsetting that your friends from the UK are not supportive in your move to Switzerland, especially when it's offered you such amazing opportunities. People like that are rarely real friends though, so while it's hard, try and find some peace in the fact that if they cannot support you, you might be better off without them.

When you say that the people where you live are reserved, what do you mean? My advice would be, try and invite them out for some drinks, and if they're not into drinking in the same way you are, maybe start with a compromise. If they don't like clubs, for example, invite them to a pub where you can drink, but also there's not the pressure to drink if they don't want to. You could try incorporating that with something they enjoy. If they like quizzes or games, try and find a themed pub where you can drink, but also maybe find a new hobby to share with them every now and then. If you don't enjoy it, no worries! But it might be a way to branch out without dismissing your hobbies, and compromise so that they have fun too.

I agree with Sarah that talking to your co-workers is going to be really helpful here too. Maybe they're not into drinking, but they might have interests outside of that which interest you too. In my old job, I found that I had little in common with people, so I found it hard to come out of my shell, especially as everyone seemed to be close with each other but not with me. When I moved jobs, I spoke to more people, tried to be more open to their interests, and as a result I ended up feeling more more included and much more accepted within the work group. This might help ease some of the loneliness you're facing, and open up opportunities to do things outside of work too. Maybe your colleague loves horror films and you can invite him or her over to watch one with you, or maybe they love the same band as you so you could go to a concert together (covid permitting).

The best thing to do is take it gradually. Don't put too much pressure on the situation (which I know is hard), and let it happen naturally. Maybe set up a work group chat, ask how their weekends were, simple things. Hopefully this will help you make some good connections where you are.

"Why want another universe if this one has dogs?"

Matt Haig - The Midnight Library

Volunteer Support Officer | Apply to staff
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Can you hear the silence?
Senior TeenHelper

Points: 26,546, Level: 23 Points: 26,546, Level: 23 Points: 26,546, Level: 23

Re: Switzerland - January 29th 2021, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everglow. View Post
Hey,

This situation sounds like an unpleasant one to be in and I'm sorry you're dealing with it. I can't imagine how difficult it must be to be in a new environment without the support of the people you care about back home to help you. It's disappointing and upsetting that your friends from the UK are not supportive in your move to Switzerland, especially when it's offered you such amazing opportunities. People like that are rarely real friends though, so while it's hard, try and find some peace in the fact that if they cannot support you, you might be better off without them.

When you say that the people where you live are reserved, what do you mean? My advice would be, try and invite them out for some drinks, and if they're not into drinking in the same way you are, maybe start with a compromise. If they don't like clubs, for example, invite them to a pub where you can drink, but also there's not the pressure to drink if they don't want to. You could try incorporating that with something they enjoy. If they like quizzes or games, try and find a themed pub where you can drink, but also maybe find a new hobby to share with them every now and then. If you don't enjoy it, no worries! But it might be a way to branch out without dismissing your hobbies, and compromise so that they have fun too.

I agree with Sarah that talking to your co-workers is going to be really helpful here too. Maybe they're not into drinking, but they might have interests outside of that which interest you too. In my old job, I found that I had little in common with people, so I found it hard to come out of my shell, especially as everyone seemed to be close with each other but not with me. When I moved jobs, I spoke to more people, tried to be more open to their interests, and as a result I ended up feeling more more included and much more accepted within the work group. This might help ease some of the loneliness you're facing, and open up opportunities to do things outside of work too. Maybe your colleague loves horror films and you can invite him or her over to watch one with you, or maybe they love the same band as you so you could go to a concert together (covid permitting).

The best thing to do is take it gradually. Don't put too much pressure on the situation (which I know is hard), and let it happen naturally. Maybe set up a work group chat, ask how their weekends were, simple things. Hopefully this will help you make some good connections where you are.
Hi thank you for the reply,

Everyone at work is British and they all have partners the problem is now is that there is barely anyone there because of Covid 19 we all in England
I don’t know what to do I feel trapped meeting people is now nearly
Impossible because of Covid life is impossible
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Oneirophobia Offline
Fear of Dreams

Junior TeenHelper

Name: Kayla C

Points: 19,348, Level: 20 Points: 19,348, Level: 20 Points: 19,348, Level: 20

Re: Switzerland - February 1st 2021, 04:00 PM

I know this might be weird, but I'm sure if you looked into it, facebook around your area, might have groups or things in the community even with Covid, I am sure there is something you could do.
As adults its harder to make friends in general anyways, sometimes online is a good start, specially if new to the area too.
Just give it time, not everything happens in a second.

I fell in love the way you fall asleep. Slowly then all at once <3

HelpLINK Mentor|Forum Moderator|Social Media Guru|Photographer|Chat Moderator
Closed Thread