bringmethehorizon♥ Offline
Can you hear the silence?
Senior TeenHelper

Points: 26,546, Level: 23 Points: 26,546, Level: 23 Points: 26,546, Level: 23

Re: Switzerland - January 29th 2021, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everglow. View Post
Hey,

This situation sounds like an unpleasant one to be in and I'm sorry you're dealing with it. I can't imagine how difficult it must be to be in a new environment without the support of the people you care about back home to help you. It's disappointing and upsetting that your friends from the UK are not supportive in your move to Switzerland, especially when it's offered you such amazing opportunities. People like that are rarely real friends though, so while it's hard, try and find some peace in the fact that if they cannot support you, you might be better off without them.

When you say that the people where you live are reserved, what do you mean? My advice would be, try and invite them out for some drinks, and if they're not into drinking in the same way you are, maybe start with a compromise. If they don't like clubs, for example, invite them to a pub where you can drink, but also there's not the pressure to drink if they don't want to. You could try incorporating that with something they enjoy. If they like quizzes or games, try and find a themed pub where you can drink, but also maybe find a new hobby to share with them every now and then. If you don't enjoy it, no worries! But it might be a way to branch out without dismissing your hobbies, and compromise so that they have fun too.

I agree with Sarah that talking to your co-workers is going to be really helpful here too. Maybe they're not into drinking, but they might have interests outside of that which interest you too. In my old job, I found that I had little in common with people, so I found it hard to come out of my shell, especially as everyone seemed to be close with each other but not with me. When I moved jobs, I spoke to more people, tried to be more open to their interests, and as a result I ended up feeling more more included and much more accepted within the work group. This might help ease some of the loneliness you're facing, and open up opportunities to do things outside of work too. Maybe your colleague loves horror films and you can invite him or her over to watch one with you, or maybe they love the same band as you so you could go to a concert together (covid permitting).

The best thing to do is take it gradually. Don't put too much pressure on the situation (which I know is hard), and let it happen naturally. Maybe set up a work group chat, ask how their weekends were, simple things. Hopefully this will help you make some good connections where you are.
Hi thank you for the reply,

Everyone at work is British and they all have partners the problem is now is that there is barely anyone there because of Covid 19 we all in England
I don’t know what to do I feel trapped meeting people is now nearly
Impossible because of Covid life is impossible