NeuroBeautiful Offline
Please call that story back.
I've been here a while

Name: Violet

Points: 29,446, Level: 24 Points: 29,446, Level: 24 Points: 29,446, Level: 24

Re: Struggling in therapy, in life - January 31st 2021, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynefin View Post
Do you ever do anything after your sessions? I struggle a lot after sessions and always have those post-session thoughts. I think a routine of sorts to help feel safe and adjust to the environment outside of therapy could help. I usually write my thoughts and listen to music, or sometimes I sit in silence for a while to absorb things.

You could also draft an email throughout the week and then tweak it before sending it so that the heavier topics are present and the other ones are removed. However, as it's been said, there isn't really a wrong way to do therapy. Other topics, even if they aren't as heavy, are still important because they're a part of your day to day life.

The only other thing that comes to mind is trying to keep a separate space for the topics that aren't as heavy. You can prioritize the heavy ones and give yourself a few minutes at the beginning or end of a session to talk about the smaller things. A lot of people find doing that useful as a way to start and end the session.

Meant to reply to this sooner and say thank you. I like the idea of prioritising within the email.
I don't have an after therapy routine but I think it would be good to have one. I usually try to get straight to work and finishing up work related things. It would be good for me to slow down on therapy evenings and I can hustle during the other days.