View Single Post
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I've been here a while

Name: Sarah

Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31

Re: Dealing with my asinine parents - February 17th 2021, 11:56 PM

I'm unsure of how old you are, but based on all that you've written, it sounds like your parents are in a stage of shock because of what they discovered. Then panicked thinking you were an irresponsible young person and that they need to protect you from yourself. However, they clearly have not considered that by doing what they're doing, the only person you need a defence from, is them.

I fully understand their behaviour. It's not the first time I've seen parents attempt drastic measures when sex amongst young people emerges. They want the best for their child and fear the worst. That said, the way they've gone about dealing with their discovery in that you're having sex is a little over the top.

Again, I understand they want to protect you, but there comes a point where punishments like those they're handing out will only work for so long. If a young person wants to circumvent their punishment, they will find away. As demonstrated by all that you've written. No matter how many punishments they deal, it's not going to work.

Ideally, they should have sat down with you, and perhaps your girlfriend as well, and discussed the situation properly. Your girlfriend clearly took all the necessary precautions. You both weren't being stupid. She is already taking a contraceptive pill to avoid pregnancy in the first place.

I can't imagine the difficulty you must be going through right now. Their behaviour cannot be good for your mental health. Unfortunately the best thing you can do, is sit down with them and discuss how they're making you feel. You know you did wrong, as you've already mentioned. All they see is that you're a young person acting out and they need to try and fix the problem. The way they're trying to fix the situation is making it worse. There needs to be a compromise on both sides. What they're doing right now is far too much.

In terms of pictures of both you and your girlfriend, based on what you've written, I can only assume they are of you both naked, or exposing yourself in a sexual manner. I can understand their concerns here, especially if you are underage. If those pictures were to fall into the wrong hands, or if you both part ways, anger and hurt can be a dangerous thing. Pictures like that can become a weapon you don't want to have around.

I understand that you're a young person and the internet is a vitally important resource, especially with everything going on right now, but be very careful when accessing internet that isn't your own. Your connection is actually shown on the owner's device administration tool. It will show the device name and user associated with it, as well as how much data you have used. Given that wi-fi has a very short distance, they will know it's someone nearby.

Overall, speak to your parents about how you're feeling. If you're unable to speak to them, see if you can consider chatting to a school teacher or perhaps even your girlfriend's parents. I know that you said that both parents are very close, but your parents' behaviour is a little too far.