(#1 (permalink)) Old
Mallika Offline
HelpLINK Mentor

Regular TeenHelper

Name: Mallika

Points: 11,409, Level: 15 Points: 11,409, Level: 15 Points: 11,409, Level: 15

What's the matter with my best friend? - February 27th 2021, 06:49 AM

Hello,

I'm actually writing this as I'm concerned about what might be going on with my best friend. We became close in high school and remained so throughout college, keeping in touch, sharing both mundane events and secrets with one another over the past five years though we were in different continents.

However, in October last year, he began showing signs of avoidance. He'd say things like "I'm just really busy," and would avoid replying to my texts. I eventually got the message and stopped texting him, since he clearly didn't want to talk and I respected that.

More recently, I happened to notice that I only had 10 mutual friends with him on Facebook, while we previously had over a 100 mutual friends. I looked into it and realised two things: (1) he un-friended me, because I could only see "Add friend" on his profile and not "Message" as we would with those who are Facebook friends; and (2) he had un-friended most of our other friends, many of whom he had been good friends with.

I'm genuinely concerned about his mental health and I wish I knew what was happening. He clearly has something going on; I want to reach out to him but I want to respect his boundaries since he doesn't entertain conversation with me anymore. I could reach out to another one of his close friends and ask if they know what might be happening with him, but I don't want to come across as too intrusive. He did have a girl in his life, but I don't know if she could be related to any of this.

What should I do? Has anyone met with a similar situation?

Thank you

~ Seize each day and live it like your last ~

HelpLINK Mentor | Forum Moderator