View Single Post
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Gris Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 1,408, Level: 5 Points: 1,408, Level: 5 Points: 1,408, Level: 5

Re: TW for family diseases: Should I talk to my family about this? - April 9th 2021, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite-1 View Post
Hello Gris and welcome to Teen Help

Since all this health information recently came to your parents' knowledge, it will as it is natural, take some time to for them to process the news. Your father will, I'm sure, explain to you, but when he feels the time is right. A similar situation happened to me when I was a lot younger, but mum and I were very close. She told me about her heart condition, taking some time off work to talk when I was a preteen, just her and me. I'm very grateful she did.

After your father has talked to you, it would be good to settle your mind if you make an appointment to consult your doctor to determine whether or not your father's heart condition may affect you in later life. You may be referred to a pediatrician, and these doctors for young people under 18 are wonderful.

There are, a pediatrician will explain, simple tests such as an electrocardiogram (ECG) that is used to check your heart's rhythm and electrical activity. Also a blood sample which only feels like a little scratch as the phlebotomist finds a vein in your arm to take some blood. 'Phlebots' are very highly skilled healthcare people who use tiny needles. I hardly felt anything when blood samples were taken from me, so this is my assuring you. You have no need to worry.

I have already discussed my health situation with my doctor, a pediatrician which, as described by Google, "A pediatrician is trained to diagnose and treat a broad range of childhood illnesses, from minor health problems to serious diseases."

I agree with what Christine said, and not to get too wound up before one of your parents talk to you. But they'll need time to process all this in their own time first, so don't worry unduly.

My parents died a few years ago, but of different illnesses. I'm a young teenager still trying to make sense and logic out of my mother and father's lifestyles. It's not an easy task, but given time all our worries and concerns are a doable.

If you want to talk, drop by and leave a visitor message or private message. I may not be here tomorrow as my church will be having a special meeting. But I will be here sometime over the weekend.

All my best

Tommy.

I'm sorry that happened to you. I'm new to this so I hope you get this and I'm replying correctly. I hope your situation gets better