(#3 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 57,786, Level: 34 Points: 57,786, Level: 34 Points: 57,786, Level: 34

Re: Got me worked up - June 25th 2021, 05:37 PM

I don't think it's minor if it's bothered you. I think sometimes we might think that the way that others communicate may give us an indication about how they perceive us.

For example, using the word 'uncomfy' is informal (as opposed to uncomfortable) and saying that you are 'really smiley' (when it was actually nervous laughter) and then the comment about you talking a lot (when you previously found it difficult to open up) could come across as perhaps a bit infantilising? It might not be meant that way...it might just be that your therapist is just trying to be friendly while misreading your communication, perhaps leading you to feel like you aren't being taken seriously?

How is the relationship with your therapist in general? It's nothing to be embarrassed about as it can help you to figure out why the things your therapist has said has bothered you and perhaps how you can either approach it differently (by thinking that maybe she doesn't realise how she is coming across) or talk with your therapist and let her know that these things are bothering you for her to be more mindful of what she says towards you.

Hope this helps a bit!

Mentoring and Support Team Leader | Click here to volunteer