View Single Post
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount71

Edit avatar

Not sure what decision to make - July 6th 2021, 12:50 AM

Every year my extended family on my mom's side has a family reunion in August. We didn't go last year because of COVID, but since all of us (immediate family) are fully vaccinated my mom feels safe going.

I've gone on and off over the years. Sometimes they're a bit much and I don't feel up to dealing with it, but I just had a birthday and when my Grandmama called to wish me a Happy Birthday she said she really hopes to see me at the reunion.

Here's the issue: I came out as transgender/non-binary since I last saw them. About a year ago I started HRT (Hormone Replacement Therapy) and that's had an impact. I look different and sound different now. This isn't so much a problem with my immediate family, but my mom's family are very conservative and Southern Baptists. They already don't approve of my "lifestyle" (i.e. the fact I am queer/pansexual and polyamorous). I am worried me being trans will make them very uncomfortable. Scratch that; I know it will. I want to see everyone, but I don't want to alienate myself, either. What do I do? My mom says she'll respect my decision either way but I want to make the right one. Thoughts?