View Single Post
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
FrozenRobot7 Offline
Average Joe

Name: Danni

Points: 9,892, Level: 14 Points: 9,892, Level: 14 Points: 9,892, Level: 14

Leaving a sibling in a toxic place - July 17th 2021, 09:32 PM

I know I am certainty not the first and won't be the last older sibling to deal with the guilt of being able to leave a toxic household but leaving an older sibling behind. This past school year I left for college but returned home for the summer. But after how mentally taxing this summer has been, I don't plan on returning home anytime soon for my own mental health. But, I still have a 12 year old brother at home and am struggling with the guilt of leaving him behind while I leave.

I have tried my best to give him some resources and tools to better navigate the home, but he is still only 12 years old and he doesn't have the maturity to deal with all of the complex situations going on within the home. While at college I often video chatted with him and I think that helped, but I was still only seeing a miniscule part of his day. But, the thing that put my mind at ease slightly was the fact that I would be home for 3 months this summer and would be there for him during that time. But now that time is quickly diminishing and where I am ecstatic to leave, I am also very worried about him and how he will navigate the household on his own. While I have tried my best to help him and give him the tools he needs, I still feel an immense amount of guilt for leaving him in that toxic situation.

Does anyone have any tools or resources that come to mind? Or ways I can limit the amount of guilt I am harboring about being able to leave?

Everything will be okay in the end. If it’s not okay, it’s not the end- John Lennon❤️❤️