(#4 (permalink)) Old
Mallika Offline
HelpLINK Mentor

Regular TeenHelper

Name: Mallika

Points: 11,409, Level: 15 Points: 11,409, Level: 15 Points: 11,409, Level: 15

Re: I'm scared for my dad - September 6th 2021, 12:05 PM

Hello there,

Thank you so much for reaching out. I can imagine it must have been quite difficult to share something so deep and painful.

First of all, you're being a wonderful child to your father by being so thoughtful and worried about his plight. He seems to be going through a lot by himself. I would say that your best bet is to get him to open up about what is going on in his life, because only then can the conversation about next steps (towards recovery, seeking help, etc.) come about.

You would need to find a quiet time where you can talk to him personally, face-to-face. Try asking him if he will be free any of the upcoming days, and if so, a convenient timing for both of you to talk. If you feel it might be challenging to have this conversation with him alone, you might want to ask your Mom or any other reliable person to be with you. Just the way you expressed your concerns to us here on TeenHelp, tell him about your concerns. Having been trained in suicide intervention, I can tell you that one of the best ways to step in and help someone who might be in dire need of it is to get them to open up. You may then tell him that help and support is always available should he wish to speak with a professional, and that you wish that he seek such support for his own (and your) wellbeing. You can even send him some links where he can access counselling support. I'm attaching two links here, and you can send him these:
https://www.betterhelp.com
https://www.7cups.com

Remember that he's your father at the end of the day. Parents naturally tend to put their kids before themselves. If he can understand how concerned you are, he might be prompted to seek help bearing you in mind.

Take care and feel free to PM me if you have any questions!

~ Seize each day and live it like your last ~

HelpLINK Mentor | Forum Moderator