Thread: Triggering (Weight Figures): Non-profit service dog resources(weight for dog)
View Single Post
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Wͦaͦtͦeͦrͦ Sͦpͦrͦiͦtͦeͦ Offline
𓆉

Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Frankie
Pronouns: 𝕤𝕙𝕖/𝕥𝕙𝕖𝕪

Points: 1,979, Level: 6 Points: 1,979, Level: 6 Points: 1,979, Level: 6

Re: Non-profit service dog resources(weight for dog) - May 6th 2022, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celyn View Post
I'm just wondering why you feel you need a small dog? Would you be okay with a medium sized dog? I ask because many service dogs tend to be labradors, golden retrievers, standard poodles or mixes of those breeds, which are heavier than your ideal dog.

Raising and training a dog can cost a lot so many organisations will require you to pay a fee for a service dog. There are some that don't require a fee such as the Freedom Service Dogs and Canine Companions. However, they do not have small dogs. Little Angels does have smaller dogs but their fee is $500. You might want to check out this list for organisations that provide service dogs in your area.

If money is an issue then you could try fundraising. Once you have a service dog, you may be able to apply for funding to help you care for your dog. You can check out this link for more information on financial assistance. I understand that a service dog could mean a lot to you regarding your independence on leaving the house when you have severe anxiety and panic attacks. However, it's also important to consider whether you also have the means necessary to care for the dog, such as being able to provide food, toys and visits to the vet, all of which require money.

If, for whatever reason, you are unable to obtain a service dog that meets your needs, maybe you could consider volunteering as a dog walker at shelters or helping out at rescue centres in general? This would allow you to gently challenge yourself to leave the house while also giving you time with dogs which may also help you to feel better about yourself. Another option, if you have the means necessary, and you aren't looking specifically for a service dog, is to consider fostering or adopting a dog from a rescue shelter. These dogs aren't a replacement for psychiatric service dogs but if you just want to feel more confident going out, and you are able to financially care for the dog, then this is another option you could explore.

Hope this helps a bit and hope others can give more help too
25 pounds is a medium dog(this is actually pushing it, i more want 15 pounds but that is the heaviest I can go. I am afraid of big dogs there for I cannot have a big dog. Plus what I need the dog for the smaller size is better. When I’m crowds in certain situations I’d need the dog in my lap to stay present and not switch or dissociate especially in high anxiety provoking situations and places very loud.

I already have a dog, but I need one that is able to go places with me, pixie is almost 8 and there for cannot train her.

Last edited by Wͦaͦtͦeͦrͦ Sͦpͦrͦiͦtͦeͦ; May 6th 2022 at 12:46 PM.