TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
𓆉

Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Frankie
Pronouns: 𝕤𝕙𝕖/𝕥𝕙𝕖𝕪

Points: 1,979, Level: 6 Points: 1,979, Level: 6 Points: 1,979, Level: 6

Non-profit service dog resources(weight for dog) - April 13th 2022, 05:10 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, because it contains weight figures, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Hey,
I know this is a long shot. But I am really looking into getting a service dog for my extreme anxiety of going out of the house, c-ptsd, my extreme panic attacks. The thing is I have no money available to get one. Does anyone know of any non-profit places that help you get a service dog? Also the dog would have to be 15-25ib at the heaviest. Oh I’m in CA. If you have any resources please let me know.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Arabesque- golfing girl. Offline
Be Creative. Always Dance❤️

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Emmie🦋

Points: 109,139, Level: 47 Points: 109,139, Level: 47 Points: 109,139, Level: 47

Re: Non-profit service dog resources(weight for dog) - May 3rd 2022, 06:14 PM

Hello,

I am so sorry that you have not had a reply yet and I hope that I can help you out with this and others are able to help you out with this also.

I looked up how to get a service dog in California because I don't live in your area. I was able to find some articles on this topic that can help you out with this, when you have time if you would like to look at them and hopefully they will help you. They are https://usaservicedogregistration.co...-registration/
https://www.dor.ca.gov/Home/ServiceAnimals and https://www.servicedogcertifications...-requirements/ I'm sorry you have been feeling like this and I hope that you are able to find the help that you need and you will be able to feel better soon. I think having dogs and cats are lovely to have around me when I'm having a hard time because they are able to sit down and just be with us when we are having a hard time and they make us feel better too. Sending you lots of to help you.

•Forums Officer
•HelpLINK Moderator
•Community Moderator•
Article Writer
•Resource Editor
•Newsletter Editor
• Social Media Guru.

"Dance is your pulse, your heartbeat,
It’s the rhythm
of your life.

It’s the expression
in time and movement,

in happiness, joy, sadness and envy.
-Jacques d’Ambroise''
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 57,786, Level: 34 Points: 57,786, Level: 34 Points: 57,786, Level: 34

Re: Non-profit service dog resources(weight for dog) - May 4th 2022, 12:43 PM

I'm just wondering why you feel you need a small dog? Would you be okay with a medium sized dog? I ask because many service dogs tend to be labradors, golden retrievers, standard poodles or mixes of those breeds, which are heavier than your ideal dog.

Raising and training a dog can cost a lot so many organisations will require you to pay a fee for a service dog. There are some that don't require a fee such as the Freedom Service Dogs and Canine Companions. However, they do not have small dogs. Little Angels does have smaller dogs but their fee is $500. You might want to check out this list for organisations that provide service dogs in your area.

If money is an issue then you could try fundraising. Once you have a service dog, you may be able to apply for funding to help you care for your dog. You can check out this link for more information on financial assistance. I understand that a service dog could mean a lot to you regarding your independence on leaving the house when you have severe anxiety and panic attacks. However, it's also important to consider whether you also have the means necessary to care for the dog, such as being able to provide food, toys and visits to the vet, all of which require money.

If, for whatever reason, you are unable to obtain a service dog that meets your needs, maybe you could consider volunteering as a dog walker at shelters or helping out at rescue centres in general? This would allow you to gently challenge yourself to leave the house while also giving you time with dogs which may also help you to feel better about yourself. Another option, if you have the means necessary, and you aren't looking specifically for a service dog, is to consider fostering or adopting a dog from a rescue shelter. These dogs aren't a replacement for psychiatric service dogs but if you just want to feel more confident going out, and you are able to financially care for the dog, then this is another option you could explore.

Hope this helps a bit and hope others can give more help too

Mentoring and Support Team Leader | Click here to volunteer

Last edited by Celyn; May 4th 2022 at 01:01 PM.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
𓆉

Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Frankie
Pronouns: 𝕤𝕙𝕖/𝕥𝕙𝕖𝕪

Points: 1,979, Level: 6 Points: 1,979, Level: 6 Points: 1,979, Level: 6

Re: Non-profit service dog resources(weight for dog) - May 6th 2022, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celyn View Post
I'm just wondering why you feel you need a small dog? Would you be okay with a medium sized dog? I ask because many service dogs tend to be labradors, golden retrievers, standard poodles or mixes of those breeds, which are heavier than your ideal dog.

Raising and training a dog can cost a lot so many organisations will require you to pay a fee for a service dog. There are some that don't require a fee such as the Freedom Service Dogs and Canine Companions. However, they do not have small dogs. Little Angels does have smaller dogs but their fee is $500. You might want to check out this list for organisations that provide service dogs in your area.

If money is an issue then you could try fundraising. Once you have a service dog, you may be able to apply for funding to help you care for your dog. You can check out this link for more information on financial assistance. I understand that a service dog could mean a lot to you regarding your independence on leaving the house when you have severe anxiety and panic attacks. However, it's also important to consider whether you also have the means necessary to care for the dog, such as being able to provide food, toys and visits to the vet, all of which require money.

If, for whatever reason, you are unable to obtain a service dog that meets your needs, maybe you could consider volunteering as a dog walker at shelters or helping out at rescue centres in general? This would allow you to gently challenge yourself to leave the house while also giving you time with dogs which may also help you to feel better about yourself. Another option, if you have the means necessary, and you aren't looking specifically for a service dog, is to consider fostering or adopting a dog from a rescue shelter. These dogs aren't a replacement for psychiatric service dogs but if you just want to feel more confident going out, and you are able to financially care for the dog, then this is another option you could explore.

Hope this helps a bit and hope others can give more help too
25 pounds is a medium dog(this is actually pushing it, i more want 15 pounds but that is the heaviest I can go. I am afraid of big dogs there for I cannot have a big dog. Plus what I need the dog for the smaller size is better. When I’m crowds in certain situations I’d need the dog in my lap to stay present and not switch or dissociate especially in high anxiety provoking situations and places very loud.

I already have a dog, but I need one that is able to go places with me, pixie is almost 8 and there for cannot train her.

Last edited by Wͦaͦtͦeͦrͦ Sͦpͦrͦiͦtͦeͦ; May 6th 2022 at 12:46 PM.
Closed Thread