View Single Post
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount81

Edit avatar

Re: Need advice on 18 yo - September 11th 2022, 06:49 PM

Hi there, thanks for reaching out!

I can see how concerned you are for your son, and especially as someone who used to have substance abuse issues. I agree with Dez in that you should think "what do I wish people had told me when I was struggling? What do I wish people had done for me back then" and with the answers you give yourself, use that to support your son. You can speak to your partner and come up with a plan, but don't be too aggressive with intervention. The last thing you want to do is have him shut you out completely.

You should also ask yourself, since he uses your car but it's in your name, whether it's worth letting him continue to drive it. As Dez said, you don't want him getting high on substances, drive under the influence, and get into an accident; because then it'll come back to bite you since the car's ownership is in your name. I know he's eighteen and legally an adult; but it's important to think about the ramifications that could come with him getting into an accident or getting pulled over while under the influence.

I understand how frustrating this must be, as a former addict watching your son go through the same thing you did when you'd been young; but it's really ultimately up to him to want to make the change. You and your partner can only do so much for him, but he's his own person who makes choices for himself.

Don't hesitate in reaching out again if you have to. Good luck.