Silvan Offline
Woodland resident
I can't get enough

Name: Sue
Pronouns: She/her

Points: 55,822, Level: 33 Points: 55,822, Level: 33 Points: 55,822, Level: 33

Re: Talking to my cousin about self harm. - December 17th 2022, 06:56 AM

Hi Dez,

I understand your concerns. The fact that you're unsure how to approach this shows how sensitive and compassionate you are, and that you want to give your cousin the best advice possible
This conversation can go in many different ways and I'm afraid it's impossible to be prepared for every question or reaction from your cousin. However, you have been in a similar position, and that alone means you actually understands how she might be feeling or what she might be thinking. I believe you should trust your instincts about what to say (still being cautious, of course), and I'm sure that with your sensitivity you won't hurt your cousin.
I really like Emmie's idea of writing a letter first. This way you could communicate to your cousin what you want to talk about, but without making her uncomfortable or forcing her to react somehow while talking face to face.
Does she like your guinea pigs or would it be possible for her to visit them? Perhaps you could try to approach her while taking care of your pets. Pets often make people calmer, and maybe they would make it easier for your cousin to have this conversation.
Whatever you choose to do, I hope everything goes well for both you and your cousin.
Take care! xx S

Graphic Designer Forum Moderator
ɤ
PM ¦ VM

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.