Thread: Triggering: My guinea pig is really sick.
View Single Post
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,892, Level: 59 Points: 172,892, Level: 59 Points: 172,892, Level: 59

My guinea pig is really sick. - February 16th 2023, 12:52 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I took my guinea pig, French Toast, to the vet for bloody discharge. I don't know if it's urine or vaginal. The vet said she had no bladder stones, couldn't feel an ovarian cyst, her bladder wasn't distended, and she showed no discomfort when her bladder was palpated. We ran an X-Ray anyway.
The X-Ray showed nothing really wrong with her urinary or reproductive systems. She's still bleeding and passed a clot today. There's no actual cause.
The vet also found that French Toast has a mildly enlarged heart, fluid in her lungs, and inflammation of the bullae (spelling?) in her brain. It's not good news. Right now she's symptomatic but that could change in the future.
I can't afford the CT scan they suggested to me. I might do the ultrasound if the quote is low enough but I doubt it will be. If I can't afford it, I'm a terrible pet parent.
Since she's not symptomatic right yet I still have time. I'm going to try and take her to the vet every three months for rechecks if I can afford it, but I don't know if it will be sustainable. I might be losing my insurance and I'm losing my job in June.
I'm scared that I'm going to wake up and find her dead in her cage, or that she'll be suffering without showing it. Guinea pigs are very good at hiding their pain because they're prey animals.
I don't know where to go from here and there's probably not much I can do besides love her at this point, but I'm guilty about not being able to do more for her or be there for her. She's only 2, she should have more good years left in her but now she's sick and that all might be taken away. She's my baby and I don't know what to do.

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive