(#3 (permalink)) Old
Mallika Offline
HelpLINK Mentor

Regular TeenHelper

Name: Mallika

Points: 11,409, Level: 15 Points: 11,409, Level: 15 Points: 11,409, Level: 15

Re: Bullying his brother. Not sure what to do - June 25th 2023, 03:48 PM

Hello there,

Thank you for reaching out! I agree with Everglow that it's commendable that you're looking out for your friend and his brother. It's no doubt disturbing to witness an older sibling abuse a younger sibling.

A lot of siblings fight physically - especially in their growing-up years. My sister used to scratch me so much that I had scars on my arms for a long time, but we're really close now. However, in this case, you're right to sense that Jacob is taking advantage of his older sibling status to exert dominance over Dylan. Physical abuse of any kind should not be tolerated.

Evidently, witnessing this episode is weighing on your mind. You could talk to Jacob about this, since he's your friend. It doesn't hurt to say "Hey, I've been thinking about what happened at your house the other day. I don't think it was cool what you did to your brother. He's just a kid." (or something along those lines). In essence, you're standing up for what's right.

I also agree with Everglow's other suggestions, especially about checking in with Dylan so that he knows you're approachable. If you feel it is appropriate, it also helps to speak with Jacob's parents.

Thank you for looking out for others! You're really making a difference.

~ Seize each day and live it like your last ~

HelpLINK Mentor | Forum Moderator