Thread: Triggering (ED): I got a new scale and…
View Single Post
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

I can't get enough

Name: Sam
Pronouns: she/her

Points: 40,752, Level: 29 Points: 40,752, Level: 29 Points: 40,752, Level: 29

Re: I got a new scale and… - July 25th 2023, 04:54 PM

Unfortunately, we live in a society that has placed a lot of emphasis on weight. That has led to the misconception that the numbers we see on the scale are directly linked to our beauty, health, value, etc. While weight can definitely have an impact on health in some instances, your weight certainly doesn't define you! Instead, try to place your focus on making sure that you are making the right choices for your body. Are you eating nutritious meals and drinking enough water? Are you exercising or moving your body as regularly as you're able to? Things like that are what truly have the biggest impact.

When it comes to returning the scale, I think it's important to consider your reasons for wanting to weigh yourself so frequently. If you're doing it to ensure that you aren't gaining weight and/or if it will become a point of hyper-fixation or serve as a trigger if the number goes up, it may be wise to return it. Since you've been diagnosed with eating disorders in the past, eliminating things from your environment that may be triggering and lead you to engage in behaviors connected with your eating disorder is essential. I think it's wonderful that you're able to attend a support group and talk to others about what you're experiencing. Whether it's a support group specifically designated for those with eating disorders or just a general support group, it's a great step towards recovery! I encourage you not to take that away from yourself by re-introducing potential triggers into your life.

Since you mentioned that your therapist wants you to track your weight to ensure that you aren't dropping too low or too rapidly, returning the scale may not be possible. You also mentioned wanting to know how healthy your weight is, which does point to the fact that you may be wanting to use the scale for the right reasons. Discussing it with your therapist is a great idea, as I'm sure the two of you will be able to figure out the best plan of action for you and your recovery! If you do choose to keep the scale, perhaps you could put it in a less accessible place to limit the amount of times you're able to weigh yourself. For instance, you could ask a family member if they could keep the scale in their room so you have to ask for it anytime you want to use it. I'm not sure if this would be possible, but you can also ask your therapist if it would be possible to leave the scale in a closet at her office so you're only able to weigh yourself during sessions.

No matter what, I really want to encourage you to think this through and determine what will be best for you and your physical/mental health.

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie