View Single Post
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,963, Level: 59 Points: 172,963, Level: 59 Points: 172,963, Level: 59

Re: Should I drop out of university and become an electrician? - October 14th 2023, 02:46 AM

I'm sorry to hear that you aren't getting the support you deserve and that things are so rough right now.

You said you don't need a degree for becoming a park ranger or being a firefighter. You said the only thing you can see yourself getting from college is a teaching job, but it doesn't sound like that's something you actually want to do. Do you see yourself teaching in the future? This is only my opinion, but if you can't truly see yourself enjoying a career in teaching then it seems like it wouldn't be a good idea to continue to pursue it. If there's another major that you think would open more doors for you you can switch, but if not, you don't have to. I'd consider the time and effort you are putting in to going to college, and if that effort will lead you to doing something enjoyable with your future.

Can you see yourself enjoying being an electrician? It sounds like this is what you're leaning towards the most because it gives you experience that can help you in your future endeavors at becoming a firefighter. From what I'm reading, it sounds like your gut is telling you to go with the electrician path. Learning a trade like electrician can be valuable! I don't know about Canada, but at least in the United States people in the trades can make a decent amount of money, so your goal of supporting yourself can also be met, especially once you are a full-fledged electrician out of your apprenticeship.

Another thing I would consider is maybe calling a firehouse and asking if you can pay them a visit to talk to someone there about what type of experience they'd be looking for in a future firefighter. That way, you might be able to tailor your goals to something that would be more aligned with firefighting as a future career. Being an electrician does sound like it would be a great start though!

I know I didn't fully answer your question, but I think the thing to consider is what will make you feel happiest in the long run, and what will help you better achieve your future goals. Like I said, it sounds like your gut is telling you to be an electrician and then a firefighter, and if that's the case there's no shame in dropping out of college if it doesn't get you to where you want to be in life.

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive