TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

(#1 (permalink)) Old
John17

Edit avatar

Unhappy Should I drop out of university and become an electrician? - October 13th 2023, 11:32 PM

[FONT=""][COLOR=""][SIZE=""][FONT=""][COLOR=""][SIZE=""][FONT=""][COLOR=""][SIZE=""]The only job I can see myself getting from uni is a teaching job (BA, Anthropology) but the job I originally wanted was to be a park ranger, which is both competitive and does not require a degree where I live, mostly just experience and possibly a diploma. I just want to see what other people think because I think I would be able to get an apprenticeship as I have some family who are electricians and I think it would also help me get a firefighting job which I want as much as I want to be a park ranger, and again a BA in Anthro is useless for that. I am only in first year too so I would not be losing out on too much.

Extra info not too important but for context:
I am 18ftm in Canada and my parents are threatening to stop paying/pull me out of university if I start transitioning and because I have not been able to transition yet I have been super depressed and my grades are ~70s right now because I'm sleeping 14 hours a day, waking up tired, and leave my room maybe once every few days but in high school my average was 97. I was thinking that getting an apprenticeship would help me support myself and earn money and then possibly later transfer to firefighting once fully transitioned. I don't really know what to do my parents are not willing to support me although I've been out for 6 years and this is a big turning point in my life.[/size][/color][/font][/size][/color][/font][/size][/color][/font]
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,654, Level: 59 Points: 172,654, Level: 59 Points: 172,654, Level: 59

Re: Should I drop out of university and become an electrician? - October 14th 2023, 02:46 AM

I'm sorry to hear that you aren't getting the support you deserve and that things are so rough right now.

You said you don't need a degree for becoming a park ranger or being a firefighter. You said the only thing you can see yourself getting from college is a teaching job, but it doesn't sound like that's something you actually want to do. Do you see yourself teaching in the future? This is only my opinion, but if you can't truly see yourself enjoying a career in teaching then it seems like it wouldn't be a good idea to continue to pursue it. If there's another major that you think would open more doors for you you can switch, but if not, you don't have to. I'd consider the time and effort you are putting in to going to college, and if that effort will lead you to doing something enjoyable with your future.

Can you see yourself enjoying being an electrician? It sounds like this is what you're leaning towards the most because it gives you experience that can help you in your future endeavors at becoming a firefighter. From what I'm reading, it sounds like your gut is telling you to go with the electrician path. Learning a trade like electrician can be valuable! I don't know about Canada, but at least in the United States people in the trades can make a decent amount of money, so your goal of supporting yourself can also be met, especially once you are a full-fledged electrician out of your apprenticeship.

Another thing I would consider is maybe calling a firehouse and asking if you can pay them a visit to talk to someone there about what type of experience they'd be looking for in a future firefighter. That way, you might be able to tailor your goals to something that would be more aligned with firefighting as a future career. Being an electrician does sound like it would be a great start though!

I know I didn't fully answer your question, but I think the thing to consider is what will make you feel happiest in the long run, and what will help you better achieve your future goals. Like I said, it sounds like your gut is telling you to be an electrician and then a firefighter, and if that's the case there's no shame in dropping out of college if it doesn't get you to where you want to be in life.

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Points: 88,885, Level: 42 Points: 88,885, Level: 42 Points: 88,885, Level: 42

Re: Should I drop out of university and become an electrician? - October 15th 2023, 01:59 AM

Hi there,

It sounds like you wish to be a park ranger or firefighter than a teacher which is totally fine! If that's what you see yourself doing, you shouldn't let anyone else influence to be something else.
As Ennui. mentioned, maybe you could call the local park ranger or firefighter office to ask for advice on what you can do to become one. That's what I did when I was in the process of studying my teaching degree and my only regret was not doing it sooner.
I hope I helped. Good luck with everything.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

I can't get enough

Name: Sam
Pronouns: she/her

Points: 40,752, Level: 29 Points: 40,752, Level: 29 Points: 40,752, Level: 29

Re: Should I drop out of university and become an electrician? - October 18th 2023, 04:15 AM

Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear that you aren't getting the support that you need and want from your parents. I know this isn't the purpose of your thread, but I do want to take a moment to remind you that your identity is valid and there is a whole community that loves and supports you.

You mentioned that the only career you can see yourself having based on your current study program is a teaching position. Is that something you think you might like to do in the future? Based on what you've shared with us, it doesn't sound like you're particularly enthusiastic about it, but I also know we're only getting a small piece of the puzzle. However, if teaching isn't something that you can see yourself being excited about, it might not be the path for you. This is definitely a matter of opinion, but I think it's more worthwhile to have a career that you're passionate about. After all, you'll be working for a good majority of your life. It might as well be fulfilling, right?

It sounds like you're much more passionate about the idea of becoming a park ranger or a firefighter. If there are ways for you to achieve one of those goals, such as an electrician apprenticeship, then that might be the way to go! Since you have family members who currently work as electricians, you may want to consider asking them about the apprenticeship programs that they did, as well as their views on the job itself. It can be so helpful to have an inside perspective of what a career is actually like, as it allows you to set your expectations accordingly and gives you the opportunity to decide if it's a path you want to pursue. Even if it's just a means to an end, like becoming a firefighter, knowing what you'll be getting yourself into will help you make the right choice for your future and your goals.

If you have more questions or want to talk about this further, please feel free to reply to this thread or shoot me a PM anytime!

Take care,
Sam

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Rika Offline
Chat Buddy

Junior TeenHelper

Pronouns: she/they

Points: 13,432, Level: 16 Points: 13,432, Level: 16 Points: 13,432, Level: 16

Re: Should I drop out of university and become an electrician? - October 24th 2023, 03:17 AM

I honestly think getting into a trade is a good option if you want to do it. Trade school and getting into a trade is just as good as college! I'd say it is up to you.