View Single Post
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

I can't get enough

Name: Sam
Pronouns: she/her

Points: 40,806, Level: 29 Points: 40,806, Level: 29 Points: 40,806, Level: 29

Re: Should I drop out of university and become an electrician? - October 18th 2023, 04:15 AM

Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear that you aren't getting the support that you need and want from your parents. I know this isn't the purpose of your thread, but I do want to take a moment to remind you that your identity is valid and there is a whole community that loves and supports you.

You mentioned that the only career you can see yourself having based on your current study program is a teaching position. Is that something you think you might like to do in the future? Based on what you've shared with us, it doesn't sound like you're particularly enthusiastic about it, but I also know we're only getting a small piece of the puzzle. However, if teaching isn't something that you can see yourself being excited about, it might not be the path for you. This is definitely a matter of opinion, but I think it's more worthwhile to have a career that you're passionate about. After all, you'll be working for a good majority of your life. It might as well be fulfilling, right?

It sounds like you're much more passionate about the idea of becoming a park ranger or a firefighter. If there are ways for you to achieve one of those goals, such as an electrician apprenticeship, then that might be the way to go! Since you have family members who currently work as electricians, you may want to consider asking them about the apprenticeship programs that they did, as well as their views on the job itself. It can be so helpful to have an inside perspective of what a career is actually like, as it allows you to set your expectations accordingly and gives you the opportunity to decide if it's a path you want to pursue. Even if it's just a means to an end, like becoming a firefighter, knowing what you'll be getting yourself into will help you make the right choice for your future and your goals.

If you have more questions or want to talk about this further, please feel free to reply to this thread or shoot me a PM anytime!

Take care,
Sam

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie