View Single Post
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
TH Anonymous Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Points: 34,237, Level: 26 Points: 34,237, Level: 26 Points: 34,237, Level: 26

Re: Assertive Communication and Recovering from People-Pleasing - January 28th 2024, 07:37 PM

[SIZE="a"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennui. View Post
I've been told by a lot of people that I have to accept that "no" is a complete answer, and maybe that's something you can learn too, if you haven't already. By that, I mean that you don't have to explain yourself or say why you can't do a certain thing, and that "no" is all you have to say. "No" doesn't mean that you are a bad person, it just means that you either cannot or do not want to do the thing someone has asked of you.

With the people who are pressuring you, you don't have to offer them an explanation either. You can say that this is a personal matter that you do not wish to discuss with them. Continue to repeat it any time they start to pressure you.
Thank you, this is very helpful. Another thing that I've learned today is if someone asks whether I'm free and then plans to then pressure me into doing a favor I can say, " I have some things to do but I may be able to move things around. Why, what's going on?" and that way I can hear what is being requested and can choose whether I want to do that thing or not without being cornered into a situation.[/size]