View Single Post
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
Proud90sKid Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: .

Points: 16,684, Level: 18 Points: 16,684, Level: 18 Points: 16,684, Level: 18

Tipping in America: becoming ridiculous? - March 13th 2024, 01:55 PM

I honestly hate the way that service businesses are run in the US. Both from the top and from the bottom are customer unfriendly policies.

The other day I was served by a manager. They asked me to "close out" for the current bartender(ie. inconvenience me by having to sign two tabs just so that the person who didn't actually serve me gets a tip). I was not about to tip. This inconveniences me for a service that said bartender didn't provide me with. I didn't hesitate to put "N/A" on the tip line (because she didn't hand me a BOTTLED beer....the manager did). She immediately called me out on it to both me and other employees because I "didnt tip her". To me thats another reason to not deserve a tip: in the future, even if she serves me, I will remember that she explicitly called me out to other employees(shaming) for a tip that isn't mandatory and she didn't work for. I asked what exactly she did to deserve compensation from me given that she wasn't even the one to hand me the bottle. She said that she was the bartender on duty. I told her that while that may be the case, she still didn't provide me with services herself and therefore did nothing to deserve a tip. "I don't care about your role as server, you yourself didn't provide me with service". She said that she "wont serve me again" to which I responded that she didn't serve me this time and she spent half the time drinking shots on the job with another party, so good riddance.

Was I wrong?

I don't always tip, but I have a simple system that is easy to follow: did the actual recipient serve me/are tips shared (if tips are shared then I tip) AND did they do it without a scowl (no smile necessary, but a scowl directed at me is immediate no tip)? If so they get a tip. Not hard. She not only scowled, but called me out for services not rendered, and threatened to not serve me in the future. So of course I didn't tip her entitled ass.

I was going to get a job at the restaurant... glad I didn't because I don't want someone like that to make more money than me just because they are a female bartender who gets high tips and free drinks.

Basically I took an attitude of "oh you want me to close out for this bartender ending their shift...one who never served me at that.... just because you assume I will tip? Ok I will close out and then reopen but there won't be a tip due to lack of service and for the inconvenience".

Last edited by Proud90sKid; March 13th 2024 at 02:13 PM.