Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

I can't get enough

Name: Sam
Pronouns: she/her

Points: 40,806, Level: 29 Points: 40,806, Level: 29 Points: 40,806, Level: 29

Re: Unrequited Love - March 20th 2024, 09:14 PM

Hey Soda,

I'm sorry to hear that you're dealing with this. Having feelings for someone who doesn't return them can definitely be painful. What you're feeling is valid and it certainly isn't petty or immature for you to be upset about it. It's a tough situation to be in.

It sounds like part of what you're struggling with is the fact that the dynamic of your friendship has changed. While it certainly makes sense that your friend wants to spend a lot of time with his boyfriend, especially if it's a newer relationship, it's understandable that you're feeling a little bit pushed aside. Is this something you could try communicating with your friend? You could say something like "I'm so happy for you and your boyfriend, but I miss hanging out with you. Can we try to figure out a way to keep our friendship a priority while respecting your relationship and time with your partner?". If it's something you're comfortable with, you could even suggest doing things that include all 3 of you every once in a while. Doing so could give you more opportunities to spend time with your friend, while also showing him that you are supportive of him and his relationship.

As Dez said, it's also so important to remember that romantic love and friendship love are both equally valid. While he may not love you as a partner (or potential partner), I'm sure nothing has changed about how much he loves you as a friend. That can be just as, if not more, valuable than any romantic partnership.

Moving past romantic feelings for someone takes time, so be patient with yourself. Remind yourself that you still have an amazing friend and that, while he wasn't the one, there is someone out there who is perfect for you and will love you in the way that you want and deserve.

If you want to talk about this some more, please feel free to reply to this thread or shoot me a PM. You got this!

Take care,
Sam

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.