View Single Post
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Butterscotch. Offline
rising like a skyscraper 💜
Regular TeenHelper

Pronouns: she/her, they/them

Points: 2,241, Level: 7 Points: 2,241, Level: 7 Points: 2,241, Level: 7

Re: Childhood ending - April 6th 2024, 11:27 PM

Hi there, welcome to TeenHelp and thanks for reaching out! The milestone of graduating from high school and the realization that your childhood is officially over can be scary. You have every right to feel the way you do right now, and I certainly don't think you're being entitled. Moving to another country is scary, and walking away from the only people you've ever known is scary! I never did this, but I did go to school in another state about six hours away from home. I wish we had the technology in the late 2000s that we have today!

If your parents, grandmother, or friends use social media platforms or apps such as Facetime you can always call them that way. I understand older people might not be too fond of it, but you can always take a quick video and send it to them via email or text! Remember, just because you're leaving home and going to university in another country doesn't mean you can't go back for a visit. You sound like you have such a great relationship with your parents and grandmother, I'm sure your visits home would be even better.

As for your grandmother, I would start by spending the next few months with her. I'm sure she has stories of her own to share about travelling if she had that opportunity in her youth! Older people tend to have much more wisdom to share that you can't find simply by Googling it. Take your grandmother out for a cup of tea or go for a brunch, window shopping, etc through the next few months.

I miss my childhood home so much. It's been more than fifteen years since I moved away. I have fantasies of moving back and renovating it; but I know that price would quickly skyrocket into the millions... which I don't have. But holding onto the fond memories you have of your home, your neighborhood, the joyous occasions and friends you spent time with there will help. Perhaps have your parents, grandmother, and friends send you pictures, get them printed out, and work on a scrapbook photo album to take with you overseas.

Wishing you the very best of luck!