TheKnight
Average Joe

Name: Daniel

Points: 10,107, Level: 14 Points: 10,107, Level: 14 Points: 10,107, Level: 14

Re: How to Get to Heaven (any religion) - May 23rd 2009, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyEvee View Post
Hey guys,
So tell me, what's the reward for having lived well in this life, and how do I live well enough to get it?
I strongly believe that the afterlife is unimportant. In fact, Judaism believes that the afterlife is (relatively) unimportant and that's probably why in the whole Tanakh you find very few references to the afterlife.

That being said, "how do you get to heaven"?

You get to heaven by making heaven. By doing good here. After all, why should God give anyone heaven if we keep it from those that we can give it to? So long as there are hungry mouths, oppressed human beings, and rampant misconduct of man vs man (all things which we can stop) then there is heaven for no one. There is only existence.

God:You want to go to heaven?
Human:Yes, I really do.
God:Then I suggest you start building it.

God put us here to live here and to make this place a better place, to bring this place closer to heaven, and to make this place a place where He dwells.

I am almost convinced that there is no heaven....after all, we certainly haven't created it yet.

What happens when one dies? I won't petend I know, and I won't theorize either because, well, it's simply unimportant. If I had to guess, I'd say that "dust goes to dust and the soul goes back to God who gave it."

I swear never to be silent whenever wherever human beings are enduring suffering and humiliation. We must take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Sometimes we must interfere. When human lives are endangered, when human dignity is in jeopardy, national borders and sensitivities become irrelevant. Wherever men and women are persecuted because of their race, religion, or political views, that place must — at that moment — become the center of the universe.

-Elie Wiesel

Jewish Resources:
AskMoses
JLaw
JewFaq
Aish
CHaBaD
AskNoah
CounterMissionary Lecture Series
Anti-Missionary Handbook
The Real Messiah
Kabbalah