TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
SillyEvee Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: EV

Points: 12,436, Level: 16 Points: 12,436, Level: 16 Points: 12,436, Level: 16

Question How to Get to Heaven (any religion) - May 21st 2009, 07:58 PM

Hey guys,

So I've been wondering, how do YOU think I can get into Heaven? Cause I'd like to go there after I die. By definition it's gonna be great. So I wanna know what you think I have to do to get there and what it's gonna be like when I do.

I'm interested in the viewpoints from all religions that have a concept of heaven, and in the idea of other good things after this life, like reincarnation or, I dunno, living as a happy spirit in this world spying on my ex-neighbours.

So tell me, what's the reward for having lived well in this life, and how do I live well enough to get it?

EV

EDIT: Since so many people added their burial preferences and I'm (morbidly) interested, feel free to add your views on what should be done to/with your body when you die.

--EV--
Congrats Canada's Juniors! 5 in a row!
Last Sunday morning, the sunshine felt like rain.
Week before, they all seemed the same.
And oh, I ain't wastin' time no more
Cause time goes by like hurricanes, and faster things.
--The Allman Brothers Band

Things seem impossible until you start to do them.

PM me anytime. I love to talk. :]

Last edited by SillyEvee; May 22nd 2009 at 03:49 AM.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Ivanna_B_Me Offline
Average Joe

Name: Mary

Points: 11,308, Level: 15 Points: 11,308, Level: 15 Points: 11,308, Level: 15

Re: How to Get to Heaven (any religion) - May 21st 2009, 08:07 PM

I dont believe there is a heaven, or a hell for that matter... i believe that when you die you you decompose in the ground and become apart of the earth, thats why i want to be burried in a casket the can decompose with my body...

Although my family would say, to repent, or try to live a sin free life... if you sin go to confession say a couple of hail marys and bada bing bada boom ... (Catholic) my family are catholics....
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
ShaunHellend Offline
Banned
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Shaun Hellend

Points: 12,692, Level: 16 Points: 12,692, Level: 16 Points: 12,692, Level: 16

Re: How to Get to Heaven (any religion) - May 21st 2009, 08:24 PM

I'm an athiest, so I think you should just live your life and not worry about it.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Name: Holly

Points: 39,834, Level: 28 Points: 39,834, Level: 28 Points: 39,834, Level: 28

Re: How to Get to Heaven (any religion) - May 21st 2009, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivanna_B_Me View Post
I dont believe there is a heaven, or a hell for that matter... i believe that when you die you you decompose in the ground and become apart of the earth, thats why i want to be burried in a casket the can decompose with my body...

Although my family would say, to repent, or try to live a sin free life... if you sin go to confession say a couple of hail marys and bada bing bada boom ... (Catholic) my family are catholics....
I'm opposite, I never want to be buried in a coffin. That's horrible to mean. I use my body my whole life and now I'm in the ground with the worms. Have you ever passed a cemetery at night and thought, wow, they didn't move at all today. Who knows how long their body has been in the ground? It's just scary and disturbing to mean. I'd rather have my body parts donated or used for scientific purposes. If someone buries me in the ground, in a death box, I will haunt them.

Being a human being, and trying to obey God's commandments, with the belief in Jesus Christ as savior. The only way to the father is through the son.

Geek? Nerd? More like intellectual badass.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
wonderbread Offline
Like a dude
I've been here a while

Name: Ashley

Points: 16,527, Level: 18 Points: 16,527, Level: 18 Points: 16,527, Level: 18

Re: How to Get to Heaven (any religion) - May 21st 2009, 08:49 PM

I honestly have no idea what religion I am.
But I think as long as I do good. Say sorry for my mistakes. Help when help is needed. Ask for help when I need help. Then I will go to heaven.
I don't believe in recreation and I don't believe that you stay earth bound (But that would be pretty damn awesome if I could) but I do believe that you will be able to watch your loved ones and help them along.

Just to add my burial beliefs. I respect those who decide to be buried. When I was younger I thought I wanted to be buried but why spend thousands of dollars on a coffin and such when I could be come ash. I want to be cremated and then put into little vessels and put around necklaces for everyone in my family and friends.

Always remember to put your happiness first.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
I can't get enough

Name: Andrea

Points: 25,797, Level: 23 Points: 25,797, Level: 23 Points: 25,797, Level: 23

Re: How to Get to Heaven (any religion) - May 21st 2009, 09:06 PM

I reward is heaven of course. How do you get to it??
Accept Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior
Be baptized and spiritually born again

Follow the teachings of Jesus Christ
Do not commit mortal sin

Romans 10:9-10 For, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe with your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. For one believers with the heart and so is justified, an one confesses with the mouth and so is saved.

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Re: How to Get to Heaven (any religion) - May 21st 2009, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexico View Post
I reward is heaven of course. How do you get to it??
Accept Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior
Be baptized and spiritually born again

Follow the teachings of Jesus Christ
Do not commit mortal sin

Romans 10:9-10 For, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe with your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. For one believers with the heart and so is justified, an one confesses with the mouth and so is saved.
Well said, and you even have a C.S. Lewis quote.. Rock on.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Lugez Offline
Asshole
Senior TeenHelper

Points: 15,360, Level: 18 Points: 15,360, Level: 18 Points: 15,360, Level: 18

Re: How to Get to Heaven (any religion) - May 21st 2009, 09:10 PM

I don't believe in heaven or hell either. However, I do believe that one day we must face the consequences of our actions. I can't say what the consequences are and when they occur, because I have no idea. But eternal damnation in hell sounds a little excessive for a stupid human being. Don't you think?

I feel the same way when thinking in the opposite way as well. Living a good life for some years doesn't seem like a good enough reason to live in paradise for eternity.

I believe more in a "nirvana" or "enlightenment" type thing. To me, that makes much more sense than having one place where everyone goes. Because everyone is different, and we each individually have to find our place. Our own individual salvation. And it will occur at our own individual discretion as we keep living our lives.

As for my body...I rather be cremated, and my ashes spread...Eh, somewhere. Not sure yet. But I don't want to be buried because I don't like the idea of having to go somewhere just to remember me. I don't want a small little monument dedicated to me. I'd rather live on in other people's memories.
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
~ginaa32~ Offline
F*** tha world~lil wayne
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: ginaa

Points: 10,029, Level: 14 Points: 10,029, Level: 14 Points: 10,029, Level: 14

Re: How to Get to Heaven (any religion) - May 21st 2009, 09:31 PM

i belive that the only way to get to heaven is to belive in Jesus Christ our savior!! and i belive 100% with wat andrea has said. have faith and do wat is morally right.. accept Jesus Christ in your life

hey please feel free to PM me about anything&everything!!

fly, fly high, the sky is ur limit

If I can't have you
Let love set you free
To fly your pretty wings around.

Pretty wings, your pretty wings, your
Pretty wings. Pretty wings around.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Grizabella Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jessica

Points: 14,981, Level: 17 Points: 14,981, Level: 17 Points: 14,981, Level: 17

Re: How to Get to Heaven (any religion) - May 22nd 2009, 06:56 AM

I'm interested in learning what different religions believe is in heaven, once they've managed to get there. With Christianity, for example, I always hear about the things I should do to get into Heaven, but other than vague references to being with God, there never seems to be any information about what this fantastic place is. I know less about Jewish beliefs, but I don't think the Torah is very descriptive of heaven either.

Not around so much now that school's started

"Live a good life.
If there are gods and they are just,
then they will not care how devout you have been,
but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by.
If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them.
If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life
that will live on in the memories of your loved ones."
Marcus Aurelius
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
*Rainbow*Rider* Offline
<3
I've been here a while

Name: H

Points: 19,558, Level: 20 Points: 19,558, Level: 20 Points: 19,558, Level: 20

Re: How to Get to Heaven (any religion) - May 22nd 2009, 11:08 AM

I believe as long as you don't purposely hurt people, you'll end up in heaven. If there is one.

If the world is a cold place
Make it your business to start some fires

(#12 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount84

Edit avatar

Re: How to Get to Heaven (any religion) - May 22nd 2009, 11:21 AM

Faith alone salvation, through Jesus. Your actions are not involved in your salvation,although in return for salvaion, you should act in a good way, but that doesnt effect salvation.

An I think the concept of mortal sins are unfounded biblically
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Name: Amanda.

Points: 48,277, Level: 31 Points: 48,277, Level: 31 Points: 48,277, Level: 31

Re: How to Get to Heaven (any religion) - May 22nd 2009, 11:43 AM

I don't know what Religion I am, but I guess I'll tell you through the part of me that still believes in God This should be interesting.

I think that in order to get to Heaven, you simply have to be the best person that you can be. I know in the bible that there's all that crapola about having to believe in God, but I think that if God is any kind of God at all, he would not sentence completely kind and worthy people to eternal damnation. As long as you live your life in a good, positive way, and make the world *somewhat* of a good place as best you can, then no one can deny you a place in Heaven. I do think that believing in God helps you get into heaven, but the decision whether or not you get into heaven doesn't rest solely upon what you believe. For example, a serial killer can call themselves a Christian and devote their whole life to God, but... they're a serial killer, so how could they end up in heaven? Good people go to heaven, not so good people don't go to heaven.

As for what heaven is like, who knows? It's not like anybody has ever seen it. I think that whatever you can dream up the perfect world would be like, then that is basically what's heavens like. But no one can know for sure, they can simply believe and hope that it is there.

A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts

(#14 (permalink)) Old
TheKnight Offline
TheKnight
Average Joe

Name: Daniel

Points: 10,107, Level: 14 Points: 10,107, Level: 14 Points: 10,107, Level: 14

Re: How to Get to Heaven (any religion) - May 23rd 2009, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyEvee View Post
Hey guys,
So tell me, what's the reward for having lived well in this life, and how do I live well enough to get it?
I strongly believe that the afterlife is unimportant. In fact, Judaism believes that the afterlife is (relatively) unimportant and that's probably why in the whole Tanakh you find very few references to the afterlife.

That being said, "how do you get to heaven"?

You get to heaven by making heaven. By doing good here. After all, why should God give anyone heaven if we keep it from those that we can give it to? So long as there are hungry mouths, oppressed human beings, and rampant misconduct of man vs man (all things which we can stop) then there is heaven for no one. There is only existence.

God:You want to go to heaven?
Human:Yes, I really do.
God:Then I suggest you start building it.

God put us here to live here and to make this place a better place, to bring this place closer to heaven, and to make this place a place where He dwells.

I am almost convinced that there is no heaven....after all, we certainly haven't created it yet.

What happens when one dies? I won't petend I know, and I won't theorize either because, well, it's simply unimportant. If I had to guess, I'd say that "dust goes to dust and the soul goes back to God who gave it."

I swear never to be silent whenever wherever human beings are enduring suffering and humiliation. We must take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Sometimes we must interfere. When human lives are endangered, when human dignity is in jeopardy, national borders and sensitivities become irrelevant. Wherever men and women are persecuted because of their race, religion, or political views, that place must — at that moment — become the center of the universe.

-Elie Wiesel

Jewish Resources:
AskMoses
JLaw
JewFaq
Aish
CHaBaD
AskNoah
CounterMissionary Lecture Series
Anti-Missionary Handbook
The Real Messiah
Kabbalah
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
Incompris Offline
Isaiah 40:30-31
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Chandler

Points: 10,776, Level: 15 Points: 10,776, Level: 15 Points: 10,776, Level: 15

Re: How to Get to Heaven (any religion) - May 23rd 2009, 03:30 AM

I believe, as several people have stated, that the only way to the Father is through the Son, as John 14:6 states. How much good or bad you do has absolutely nothing to do with it, but is completely based on if you believe Jesus Christ is LORD and came to this earth to live and die for your sins so you may be saved.

I also do not believe you have to be baptised to be saved, but being baptised after you are saved is just following one of Jesus's commandments by announcing to your fellow Christians you have decided to give your life to Jesus Christ. Once you are saved, no matter what you do you cannot loose your salvation. If you commit Blasphemy, you never were saved to begin with, because it is impossible to do so after you have experience being Saved. If you break one of God's Commandments, although very hard when you have the Holy Spirit in you leading you, you do not go to Hell, but are punished for doing so. And God does punish his Children.
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
Grizabella Offline
I've been here a while

Re: How to Get to Heaven (any religion) - May 23rd 2009, 03:50 AM

Just thought I'd throw in one more religion's ideas on the matter.

Islam disagrees with Christianity on the idea of redemption. Christian redemption is based on the idea of original sin: mankind has been condemned by god because of the actions of Adam and Eve, and we thus are in need of saving. Islam denies the concept of original sin; they do not believe God condemned mankind because of the actions of our distant ancestors. There is no original sin, and therefore no need for mankind's redemption.

Assuming there even was original sin, Muslims do not believe that God would need a sinless person (Jesus) to be crucified in order to forgive us. He can forgive us without causing an innocent person to suffer. Muslims believe that every man or must bear and pay for his own sins. To their eyes, Jesus being punished for the sins of others would be unjust.

"Live a good life.
Marcus Aurelius
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
SillyEvee Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: How to Get to Heaven (any religion) - May 23rd 2009, 05:57 PM

Quote:
How much good or bad you do has absolutely nothing to do with it, but is completely based on if you believe Jesus Christ is LORD and came to this earth to live and die for your sins so you may be saved.
I don't understand this. Once saved, saved for good? If I accept Jesus as my personal saviour, I can murder a hundred people, but Jesus has already atoned for those sins? What is there keeping Christians from all being horribly immoral then? Is Heaven filled with unrepentent murderers who've accepted Jesus, but still not lived by G-d's teachings?

--EV--

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Incompris Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: How to Get to Heaven (any religion) - May 23rd 2009, 06:09 PM

Quote:
I don't understand this. Once saved, saved for good? If I accept Jesus as my personal saviour, I can murder a hundred people, but Jesus has already atoned for those sins? What is there keeping Christians from all being horribly immoral then? Is Heaven filled with unrepentent murderers who've accepted Jesus, but still not lived by G-d's teachings?
When you accept Jesus as your Saviour, The Holy Spirit comes into your heart and leads you through your life. And, with the Holy Spirit leading you it is nearly impossible to commit those kinds of crimes because the Holy Spirit stops you.
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
SillyEvee Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: How to Get to Heaven (any religion) - May 23rd 2009, 06:59 PM

But it happens, right? Why would G-d make a world in which we have free choice, but our actions don't count for anything? If you hold the (mostly Christian) belief that this life is just a "warm-up" for the next one and that entrance and position in the next one are based on faith alone, what is the incentive to do good? Do our actions count for anything at all?
And what about all the people who lived before Jesus was born? Are they forever denied entrance to Heaven simply for being alive too early? What about Jesus's own ancestors? All of Mary's ancestors, who directly contributed to the birth of Jesus, but died before he was born? Are they in Hell right now?
I don't mean to attack your belief, I just don't understand this. I would be completely and sincerely happy if you could explain these questions. Honest.

--EV--

(#20 (permalink)) Old
Grizabella Offline
I've been here a while

Re: How to Get to Heaven (any religion) - May 23rd 2009, 07:46 PM

That's something that always get me. If the way to heaven is truly just accepting Jesus and repenting, consider this: Hitler, as far as we can tell, was a Christian. So were the majority of Nazis. Anne Frank was Jewish, and it's unlikely she ever converted. So according to Christian belief, that sweet girl is now burning in hell, because she didn't accept Christ, but Hitler and his fellow nazis, who were christians, could have jumped through the necessary hoops, asked Jesus for forgiveness, and could have then gone to heaven.

That does not make any sense.

"Live a good life.
Marcus Aurelius
  (#21 (permalink)) Old
Lugez Offline
Asshole
Senior TeenHelper

Points: 15,360, Level: 18 Points: 15,360, Level: 18 Points: 15,360, Level: 18

Re: How to Get to Heaven (any religion) - May 23rd 2009, 11:25 PM

I also don't really like the idea of heaven...I mean, a place where everyone goes after they die?

There are some people in my life that I'd rather not see again. So it would REALLY suck if I saw them in heaven.

If everyone just went there after they died with their current human conscious, heaven would just be like a second Earth with God as the dictator. Sorry, but that doesn't really sound appealing to me.

I wish we got a more clear intepretation on what heaven actually is though...
  (#22 (permalink)) Old
Incompris Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: How to Get to Heaven (any religion) - May 24th 2009, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizabella View Post
That's something that always get me. If the way to heaven is truly just accepting Jesus and repenting, consider this: Hitler, as far as we can tell, was a Christian. So were the majority of Nazis. Anne Frank was Jewish, and it's unlikely she ever converted. So according to Christian belief, that sweet girl is now burning in hell, because she didn't accept Christ, but Hitler and his fellow nazis, who were christians, could have jumped through the necessary hoops, asked Jesus for forgiveness, and could have then gone to heaven.

That does not make any sense.
Just because someone says they are a Christian does not mean they are saved. Only a small percentage of "Christians" are actually saved Christians. A lot of people think just because you believe in God means you're a Christian, when that's not what Christianity is. I don't believe Hitler was a Christian, because if he was he would have never done what he did. Hitler was evil.

Quote:
But it happens, right? Why would G-d make a world in which we have free choice, but our actions don't count for anything? If you hold the (mostly Christian) belief that this life is just a "warm-up" for the next one and that entrance and position in the next one are based on faith alone, what is the incentive to do good? Do our actions count for anything at all?
No, I don't think it does happen. You may have the want to kill someone, but the Holy Spirit will not allow it. If you have already committed a crime like that before you are saved, being saved does not change the fact you just killed someone. You still are punished for committing that crime, God does not magically make your country's laws and punishments for breaking them go away. In fact, he tells us to follow our governments laws, as long as they don't contradict with what he commands.

The only time it does happen is when you are at war, and you are in the military. My Dad is in the US Army, and he has been to war, where he had to shoot someone dead. He is a Christian, and he did live with guilt for doing so. But there is a difference from murder, and killing a terrorist or killing out of self defence. Such as you would do if you were at war. You'd actually be surprised at how many Christians there are in the US military. My dad calls is a "Military of Christians" as most of the people you are around are Christians. So Christians are capable of killing, just not in the way you'd go to jail for. If that makes any sense at all.

Quote:
And what about all the people who lived before Jesus was born? Are they forever denied entrance to Heaven simply for being alive too early? What about Jesus's own ancestors? All of Mary's ancestors, who directly contributed to the birth of Jesus, but died before he was born? Are they in Hell right now?
I don't mean to attack your belief, I just don't understand this. I would be completely and sincerely happy if you could explain these questions. Honest.
I honestly don't know. I've been a Christian for a little under a year now, and I have not read the entire bible. I have read, however, about the actual death of Jesus and while he was on the cross being executed there were two other people being executed too. When he talks to the two criminals being crucified with him, he says "I assure you: Today you will be with Me in paradise." in this chunk of Luke....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke 23:32-43
Two other criminals were also led away to be executed with Him. When they arrived at the place called The Skull, they crucified Him there, along with the criminals, one on the right and one on the left. [Then Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, because they do not know what they are doing."] And they divided His clothes and cast lots.

The people stood watching, and even the leaders kept scoffing: "He saved others; let Him save Himself if this is God's Messiah, the Chosen One!" The soldiers also mocked Him. They came offering Him sour wine and said, "If You are the King of the Jews, save Yourself!"

And inscription was above Him: THIS IS THE KING OF THE JEWS
Then one of the criminals hanging there began to yell insults at Him: "Aren't You the Messiah? Save Yourself and us!"

But the other answered, rebuking him: "Don't you even fear God, since you are undergoing the same punishment? We are punished justly, because we're getting back what we deserve for the things we did, but this man has done nothing wrong." Then he said, "Jesus, remember me when You come into Your kingdom!"

And He said to him, "I assure you: Today you will be with Me in paradise."
He had not even died, yet these two people were already "saved" just because they believed Jesus was the messiah.

I also don't see why the people who followed God's laws would not be in heaven now. I assume they are, like all the Jewish who followed him, did as he said. The Jewish were God's chosen people, and Jesus was sent to save them from their sins. The only reason some of those Jewish people back then would be in Hell today is because they rejected Jesus. But that is just what I assume. I'll have to study some more, as you posed some very interesting questions.
  (#23 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Re: How to Get to Heaven (any religion) - May 24th 2009, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invert View Post
Faith alone salvation, through Jesus. Your actions are not involved in your salvation,although in return for salvaion, you should act in a good way, but that doesnt effect salvation.

An I think the concept of mortal sins are unfounded biblically

Wow. Never thought I would hear something like that from Invert. I'm proud.

(#24 (permalink)) Old
CubanitaChica Offline
Average Joe

Points: 11,107, Level: 15 Points: 11,107, Level: 15 Points: 11,107, Level: 15

Re: How to Get to Heaven (any religion) - May 24th 2009, 03:34 AM

Well, I'm Jewish and we don't believe in a heaven or hell. We believe that you either go to the good place or you don't basically. For us, following the commandments found in the Torah (613 to be exact (365 things to do (one for every day for the year) and 248 things not to do (one for every bone in the human body)) is a good way to go to the good place, and if you can think of anything else positive to do or not to do outside of those is also good. I would like to be buried because Jews do not believe in cremation because that is destroying the body that we consider is on lone from G-d and we don'd desecrate G-d's creations (hence the whole no tattoo thing in Judaism). I hope I helped!

"Make it stop,
Let this end.
This life chose me, I'm not lost in sin.
But proud I stand of who I am,
I plan to go on living."

Rest In Peace:
RCG
GCG

Live = Let Live Movement
  (#25 (permalink)) Old
SillyEvee Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: How to Get to Heaven (any religion) - May 24th 2009, 04:11 AM

You sure did, Chica. I'm Jewish, too, but I'm ba'alat tshuva, so I'm still figuring things out.

Chandler:
Quote:
Only a small percentage of "Christians" are actually saved Christians. A lot of people think just because you believe in God means you're a Christian, when that's not what Christianity is.
What is it, then? I'm curious.
Quote:
You may have the want to kill someone, but the Holy Spirit will not allow it.
Do we really have free will then? What's the value of behaving according to G-d's will if you are incapable of doing anything else? Doesn't that sort of make us into G-d-bots, like angels? Is it just that getting saved makes it practically impossible to sin in G-d's eyes, so you pretty much go to Heaven, since it's highly unlikely that you'll sin again?

--EV--

(#26 (permalink)) Old
Incompris Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: How to Get to Heaven (any religion) - May 24th 2009, 04:43 AM

Quote:
What is it, then? I'm curious.
I don't believe Christianity is only believing in God and going around saying "I'm a Christian". It's not being religious and praying aloud every chance you get.
It's accepting Jesus as your savoiur and living your life lead by the Holy Spirit. Having a relationship with God, and following his plan.

Quote:
Do we really have free will then? What's the value of behaving according to G-d's will if you are incapable of doing anything else? Doesn't that sort of make us into G-d-bots, like angels? Is it just that getting saved makes it practically impossible to sin in G-d's eyes, so you pretty much go to Heaven, since it's highly unlikely that you'll sin again?
Of course you'll sin again, that's human nature. It might not be so much as not being able to do it, but because the Holy Spirit is in you, you are more aware that you are sinning. Feeling the guilt and the consequences before you even do the sin, so after feeling all that you don't commit the sin and repent. I feel horrible when I do something simple like cuss at someone I'm mad at. Even though that doesn't sound too bad, it is a sin and a sin is a sin.

And rather or not we truly have free will is a debate between Christians because of predetermination. Since God knows all, and knows everything that is to happen in the future, do you truly have a choice in what we do in life? Verses in the bible can be pulled to prove either side. I'm not even going to go down that road.
  (#27 (permalink)) Old
TheKnight Offline
TheKnight
Average Joe

Name: Daniel

Points: 10,107, Level: 14 Points: 10,107, Level: 14 Points: 10,107, Level: 14

Re: How to Get to Heaven (any religion) - May 25th 2009, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubanitaChica View Post
Well, I'm Jewish and we don't believe in a heaven or hell. We believe that you either go to the good place or you don't basically. For us, following the commandments found in the Torah (613 to be exact (365 things to do (one for every day for the year) and 248 things not to do (one for every bone in the human body)) is a good way to go to the good place, and if you can think of anything else positive to do or not to do outside of those is also good. I would like to be buried because Jews do not believe in cremation because that is destroying the body that we consider is on lone from G-d and we don'd desecrate G-d's creations (hence the whole no tattoo thing in Judaism). I hope I helped!
I too believe in Judaism and I thought that there is a place where everyone goes for a "purification" sort of process after which they wait until the resurrection of the dead in the end of days in the era of Mashiach.

I swear never to be silent whenever wherever human beings are enduring suffering and humiliation. We must take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Sometimes we must interfere. When human lives are endangered, when human dignity is in jeopardy, national borders and sensitivities become irrelevant. Wherever men and women are persecuted because of their race, religion, or political views, that place must — at that moment — become the center of the universe.

-Elie Wiesel

Jewish Resources:
AskMoses
JLaw
JewFaq
Aish
CHaBaD
AskNoah
CounterMissionary Lecture Series
Anti-Missionary Handbook
The Real Messiah
Kabbalah
  (#28 (permalink)) Old
Catsrmything Offline
Dreamer In Disguise
Average Joe

Name: Brianna

Points: 11,101, Level: 15 Points: 11,101, Level: 15 Points: 11,101, Level: 15

Re: How to Get to Heaven (any religion) - May 25th 2009, 05:55 PM

I think that to get into heaven you just have to be a nice person and help lots of people

-Bri
  (#29 (permalink)) Old
Don't give up, turn to JESUS!!
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: suniesha

Points: 15,287, Level: 18 Points: 15,287, Level: 18 Points: 15,287, Level: 18

Re: How to Get to Heaven (any religion) - May 26th 2009, 10:16 PM

I specify on mine.. Since I'm a saved Christian, you need to be saved by accepting Jesus and LORD and Savior. And I also need to be baptized and try to walk a straight line.. So I can get to Heaven.
P.S. I can't wait to be baptized in a month!!

2nd cor. 5:13
GREAT HOPE COMES FROM FAITH IN GOD!!!!

Last edited by I ♥ Jehovah Shalom!; May 26th 2009 at 10:17 PM. Reason: I spelled something wrong.
Closed Thread