Incompris Offline
Isaiah 40:30-31
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Chandler

Points: 10,776, Level: 15 Points: 10,776, Level: 15 Points: 10,776, Level: 15

Re: How to Get to Heaven (any religion) - May 24th 2009, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizabella View Post
That's something that always get me. If the way to heaven is truly just accepting Jesus and repenting, consider this: Hitler, as far as we can tell, was a Christian. So were the majority of Nazis. Anne Frank was Jewish, and it's unlikely she ever converted. So according to Christian belief, that sweet girl is now burning in hell, because she didn't accept Christ, but Hitler and his fellow nazis, who were christians, could have jumped through the necessary hoops, asked Jesus for forgiveness, and could have then gone to heaven.

That does not make any sense.
Just because someone says they are a Christian does not mean they are saved. Only a small percentage of "Christians" are actually saved Christians. A lot of people think just because you believe in God means you're a Christian, when that's not what Christianity is. I don't believe Hitler was a Christian, because if he was he would have never done what he did. Hitler was evil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyEvee View Post
But it happens, right? Why would G-d make a world in which we have free choice, but our actions don't count for anything? If you hold the (mostly Christian) belief that this life is just a "warm-up" for the next one and that entrance and position in the next one are based on faith alone, what is the incentive to do good? Do our actions count for anything at all?
No, I don't think it does happen. You may have the want to kill someone, but the Holy Spirit will not allow it. If you have already committed a crime like that before you are saved, being saved does not change the fact you just killed someone. You still are punished for committing that crime, God does not magically make your country's laws and punishments for breaking them go away. In fact, he tells us to follow our governments laws, as long as they don't contradict with what he commands.

The only time it does happen is when you are at war, and you are in the military. My Dad is in the US Army, and he has been to war, where he had to shoot someone dead. He is a Christian, and he did live with guilt for doing so. But there is a difference from murder, and killing a terrorist or killing out of self defence. Such as you would do if you were at war. You'd actually be surprised at how many Christians there are in the US military. My dad calls is a "Military of Christians" as most of the people you are around are Christians. So Christians are capable of killing, just not in the way you'd go to jail for. If that makes any sense at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyEvee View Post
And what about all the people who lived before Jesus was born? Are they forever denied entrance to Heaven simply for being alive too early? What about Jesus's own ancestors? All of Mary's ancestors, who directly contributed to the birth of Jesus, but died before he was born? Are they in Hell right now?
I don't mean to attack your belief, I just don't understand this. I would be completely and sincerely happy if you could explain these questions. Honest.
I honestly don't know. I've been a Christian for a little under a year now, and I have not read the entire bible. I have read, however, about the actual death of Jesus and while he was on the cross being executed there were two other people being executed too. When he talks to the two criminals being crucified with him, he says "I assure you: Today you will be with Me in paradise." in this chunk of Luke....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke 23:32-43
Two other criminals were also led away to be executed with Him. When they arrived at the place called The Skull, they crucified Him there, along with the criminals, one on the right and one on the left. [Then Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, because they do not know what they are doing."] And they divided His clothes and cast lots.

The people stood watching, and even the leaders kept scoffing: "He saved others; let Him save Himself if this is God's Messiah, the Chosen One!" The soldiers also mocked Him. They came offering Him sour wine and said, "If You are the King of the Jews, save Yourself!"

And inscription was above Him: THIS IS THE KING OF THE JEWS
Then one of the criminals hanging there began to yell insults at Him: "Aren't You the Messiah? Save Yourself and us!"

But the other answered, rebuking him: "Don't you even fear God, since you are undergoing the same punishment? We are punished justly, because we're getting back what we deserve for the things we did, but this man has done nothing wrong." Then he said, "Jesus, remember me when You come into Your kingdom!"

And He said to him, "I assure you: Today you will be with Me in paradise."
He had not even died, yet these two people were already "saved" just because they believed Jesus was the messiah.

I also don't see why the people who followed God's laws would not be in heaven now. I assume they are, like all the Jewish who followed him, did as he said. The Jewish were God's chosen people, and Jesus was sent to save them from their sins. The only reason some of those Jewish people back then would be in Hell today is because they rejected Jesus. But that is just what I assume. I'll have to study some more, as you posed some very interesting questions.