Resident Atheist
I can't get enough

Name: Fletcher

Points: 22,302, Level: 21 Points: 22,302, Level: 21 Points: 22,302, Level: 21

Re: Belief in God without Religion? - July 10th 2009, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annoni View Post
Think about this...
A man has a daughter. He's giving up part of his life to nourish this child of his and give them a good life, constantly sacrificing everything whenever the baby needs. The father goes through many points where he thinks he jst can't take it anymore, but every moment the little girl says "Daddy", or when she learns to say "I love you" makes everything worth it. At age 12, pleasant girl says to her Daddy, "I'm gonna go whore myself out. This life just doesn't seem right to me right now. I'll make money off of that and find my own house, bye." Dad is left behind, all the work walked out the door to whore herself to the world.
It's even worse for God when one of his Creation turn away. He even SACRIFICED a child of His, the Son of God, for all of us! Do you not see the love in that? He sold his son to sin, the very sin He hates, which disgusts Him! He sacrificed His son for US so that we may be saved and have eternal life! That is what the Bible says. This is what the Christian God's views are, the only God.
I find it convenient that you brought up the parent/child argument, because it's actually further reason to believe that the traditional Christian god is less than praiseworthy. Some of the primary tenets of parenting go as follows: Your children owe you nothing. It was your choice to bring them into this world, and it is therefore your responsibility to care for them until they are capable of caring for themselves. At that point it becomes your duty to allow them to make their own choices, even if you disagree with them. You cannot make demands of your grown children as repayment for the effort you put in raising them. Anything they choose to give you should be given freely out of love, not out of obligation.

So a god who demands that we follow his laws, regardless of our feelings, and who demands that we worship him and ask his forgiveness for our sins - besides being simply vain and jealous - fails some of the basic tests of parenthood. God has no more right to condemn someone to hell for faithlessness than the father in your example would have to beat his daughter for her actions. If you wish to argue that god is perfect and cannot be wrong, then perhaps the father should follow god's example and beat his daughter. Wouldn't it then be those parents who choose not to abuse the children who are being "sinful"? How absurd or destructive would god's demands have to get before you think we should begin to question him?

My belief is that we should question everything. That way we learn and grow. I'm not willing to blindly accept any god or religion, nor do I think anyone else should. I think there are too many reasons to doubt god's perfection to willingly hand him the devotion he seeks. In a way, it's Pascal's wager in reverse. If god is truly loving, then he will forgive your lack of belief. If god is not willing to forgive such a minor fault - that of simply having guessed wrong on a yes or no question - then he is a vain, spiteful god, and the correct moral choice is to defy him. That's how I see things.

The atoms that make up you and me were born in the hearts of suns many times greater than ours, and in time our atoms will once again reside amongst the stars. Life is but an idle dalliance of the cosmos, frail, and soon forgotten. We have been set adrift in an ocean whose tides we are only beginning to comprehend and with that maturity has come the realization that we are, at least for now, alone. In that loneliness, it falls to us to shine as brightly as the stars from which we came.