(#2 (permalink)) Old
SimplyComplex Offline
SimplyComplex :)
I've been here a while

Name: Melissa

Points: 16,273, Level: 18 Points: 16,273, Level: 18 Points: 16,273, Level: 18

Re: Need help getting over childhood rape - September 23rd 2009, 11:30 PM

Hey,

Welcome to Teen Help and I'm glad you're coming here to at least give us a chance to give you support. Any form of abuse is difficult, not only for the main person affected but the people that love them as well, as I'm sure you're discovering for yourself.

However, I must stress that Teen Help and anything else you can find on the internet is not a replacement for anything professional help can do. I am completely agreeing with giving support to those who need it, and a place to talk about anything. But, you also need to be able to realize when something is merely too big for someone without a professional background. I know how scary it is to confess something like this to anyone. Especially things with this magnitude. I wouldn't suggest forcing her to talk with someone, but explain that she doesn't need to tell her parents why she wants to speak to a professional. She can simply mention she'd like to and that her reasons as to why are something personal. When she goes to see the professional, she can start off slow. She doesn't need to tell more than she's willing to. And she needs to know that the road to healing is a rough one. It's full of hard times and things we can't quite comprehend all at once, but it's possible to get through all of this. It's possible to cope as long as she's willing to do some things that are a little more difficult.

Bring up the idea where you can and not too often that it seems you don't want to listen. As for you, I suggest you vent these emotions your feeling in a healthy way because it's very difficult for you too. Possibly a journal or you might want to consider a professional yourself. Most of all, let her know she's cared for and if all you can do is listen, than that's better than nothing at all. Sometimes she doesn't need advice, she simply needs to know someone else is in this with her. And she isn't alone and neither are you. Remember to take this slow and try not to rule out a professional for either of you yet. Mention the idea of a journal for her as well, as she has many things coming back that she might want to sort out. This was things don't get jumbled together and she can sort through her thoughts and feelings.

Both of you are strong people and you can get through this. Don't forget that and doubt your strengths. Keep pushing and you two can do anything. Stay strong. We're all here for you.

Have hope,
-Melissa

01 // 10 // 11

Baby stand tall. You can have it all.

Don't you worry your pretty little mind, people throw rocks at things that shine..