View Single Post
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
InSovietRussiaORGASMGotU Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 14,869, Level: 17 Points: 14,869, Level: 17 Points: 14,869, Level: 17

Re: So confused about religion. D= - December 7th 2009, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haley View Post
As far as the origin of the Universe... Well, there, I probably am more inclined to evolution.
Evolution has nothing to do with the origin of the universe and if you attempt to apply it, then you've distorted evolution completely. If you want a more scientific explanation for the origin of the universe, then it's the Big Bang Theory. I suggest if you wish to adhere to and use evolution as an explanation that you learn what it actually is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onion View Post
I think it's important to look at it like this. If there is only one truth as to how the world came into existence then there is a possibility many are wrong on their choice for religion or beliefs. Ultimately it's not a matter of what suites you, but what is true... and this is my honest opinion. I would rather be RIGHT in what I believe than to be WRONG in what I believe but comfortable with it. For example, say I thought food was bad for you, so I stop eating food all together. Eventually I am going to die of starvation but because somehow I can go without eating and be comfortable with it and believe that it will prolong my life, I choose to not eat. I may be comfortable with my decision, but I will be wrong and there will be a consequence for being wrong... I will die early.

So if there is a religion or belief that is ultimately truthful, you should find out what that religion is and then mold yourself to those beliefs rather than molding your beliefs to suit you. Because who knows, there may be a penalty for being wrong.

Now personally, I am Christian -- there are several books that back up their claims, and I would encourage you to read them and start attending a church, but it's ultimately your choice. The whole "teenager" thing, trying to find yourself thing... well what you believe will determine how you live, will it not? If I believe my moral decisions effect my eternity won't that motivate me to live differently than if I am solely focused on this life? So it's not a matter of finding out who you are, but finding out what you believe and what the purpose of this life is. Once you determine this, it will direct your life. You are TODAY what you will be TOMORROW. Every decision we make effects us, so if you wait till you "find yourself", you'll never find yourself.

I'm not trying to discourage you or anything so don't take it that way, just think about what I said and if I can be of help at all just PM me.
Preaching again aren't we? The problem with your entire reasoning is the underlying assumption that you can know which exact belief is the correct one out of all them. Many beliefs and religious profess to be correct but that doesn't mean they are correct, it just means they want the believers to think that. This is why you cannot mold yourself to the correct religion, which I'm assuming is Christianity in your view, because you can only perceive it to be correct but there is no actual evidence to indicate it is correct while others are wrong. Christianity is no exception to this. Since it comes down to perception, what we determine to be correct will not be based on formal evidence.

Since it's impossible thus far to objectively know what religion is correct, then you have to construct your beliefs that you like or go into an already-formed one.