TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Haley Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Haley

Points: 10,972, Level: 15 Points: 10,972, Level: 15 Points: 10,972, Level: 15

So confused about religion. D= - December 6th 2009, 11:14 PM

I feel a void, and I know part of that is because I am a teenager and I'm still trying to "find myself". I feel it would be so much easier if I could actually associate myself with religious beliefs... But I'm not sure what religion I really coincide with. I believe abortion is a woman's choice, gay marriage is okay. I don't really believe in a god, and I feel that reincarnation or just nothing would be the most likely situations after death. I think evil exists because of karma, as does suffering. As far as the origin of the Universe... Well, there, I probably am more inclined to evolution.

Give me something to believe in
a breath from the breathing
so write it down
I don't think that I'll close my eyes
'cause lately I'm not dreaming
so what's the point in sleeping?
it's just that at night
I've got nowhere to hide.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
landy Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: landy

Points: 9,393, Level: 14 Points: 9,393, Level: 14 Points: 9,393, Level: 14

Re: So confused about religion. D= - December 7th 2009, 12:41 AM

well i can see where your confused.
but the best way to see whats best
for you is to give them all a chance.

i'm christian. im not going to pressure
you into being christian lol. but i believe
in God because i found a church that
got me...understood me and was my
type of pace and enviroment.

i hated church and didnt really believe cuz
of all the stories of christians being pushy
and judgemental and alot of other people.
but no religion is perfect because everyone
isnt perfect.

just go to different churches and speak to
different types of religious people and see
if any of them catch your interest. being confused
or feeling lost is normal...it just takes time to
find what you feel is best for you.

good luck in your journey. ;]

History is His story. - A Purpose Driven Life.
(By the way. Need anyone to talk to? my
yahoo messenger is open 24/7. feel free
to im me. ;])
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
John 6:29 Offline
Romans 2:6-8
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Points: 17,013, Level: 18 Points: 17,013, Level: 18 Points: 17,013, Level: 18

Re: So confused about religion. D= - December 7th 2009, 05:22 AM

I think it's important to look at it like this. If there is only one truth as to how the world came into existence then there is a possibility many are wrong on their choice for religion or beliefs. Ultimately it's not a matter of what suites you, but what is true... and this is my honest opinion. I would rather be RIGHT in what I believe than to be WRONG in what I believe but comfortable with it. For example, say I thought food was bad for you, so I stop eating food all together. Eventually I am going to die of starvation but because somehow I can go without eating and be comfortable with it and believe that it will prolong my life, I choose to not eat. I may be comfortable with my decision, but I will be wrong and there will be a consequence for being wrong... I will die early.

So if there is a religion or belief that is ultimately truthful, you should find out what that religion is and then mold yourself to those beliefs rather than molding your beliefs to suit you. Because who knows, there may be a penalty for being wrong.

Now personally, I am Christian -- there are several books that back up their claims, and I would encourage you to read them and start attending a church, but it's ultimately your choice. The whole "teenager" thing, trying to find yourself thing... well what you believe will determine how you live, will it not? If I believe my moral decisions effect my eternity won't that motivate me to live differently than if I am solely focused on this life? So it's not a matter of finding out who you are, but finding out what you believe and what the purpose of this life is. Once you determine this, it will direct your life. You are TODAY what you will be TOMORROW. Every decision we make effects us, so if you wait till you "find yourself", you'll never find yourself.

I'm not trying to discourage you or anything so don't take it that way, just think about what I said and if I can be of help at all just PM me.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
senken.0 Offline
Not a n00b

Points: 9,157, Level: 14 Points: 9,157, Level: 14 Points: 9,157, Level: 14

Re: So confused about religion. D= - December 7th 2009, 02:43 PM

Okay. What the fuck.

Basically your all saying "pick the religion that's right for you!!! : DDDDD"

you pick the religion you think is right. not for you, but the one you think is the truth.

You can not bend a religion to your beliefs.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Union Of V Offline
Scepticism With A Tail
I've been here a while

Name: Basil!!!

Points: 17,727, Level: 19 Points: 17,727, Level: 19 Points: 17,727, Level: 19

Re: So confused about religion. D= - December 7th 2009, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onion View Post
I think it's important to look at it like this. If there is only one truth as to how the world came into existence then there is a possibility many are wrong on their choice for religion or beliefs. Ultimately it's not a matter of what suites you, but what is true... and this is my honest opinion. I would rather be RIGHT in what I believe than to be WRONG in what I believe but comfortable with it. For example, say I thought food was bad for you, so I stop eating food all together. Eventually I am going to die of starvation but because somehow I can go without eating and be comfortable with it and believe that it will prolong my life, I choose to not eat. I may be comfortable with my decision, but I will be wrong and there will be a consequence for being wrong... I will die early.

So if there is a religion or belief that is ultimately truthful, you should find out what that religion is and then mold yourself to those beliefs rather than molding your beliefs to suit you. Because who knows, there may be a penalty for being wrong.

Now personally, I am Christian -- there are several books that back up their claims, and I would encourage you to read them and start attending a church, but it's ultimately your choice. The whole "teenager" thing, trying to find yourself thing... well what you believe will determine how you live, will it not? If I believe my moral decisions effect my eternity won't that motivate me to live differently than if I am solely focused on this life? So it's not a matter of finding out who you are, but finding out what you believe and what the purpose of this life is. Once you determine this, it will direct your life. You are TODAY what you will be TOMORROW. Every decision we make effects us, so if you wait till you "find yourself", you'll never find yourself.

I'm not trying to discourage you or anything so don't take it that way, just think about what I said and if I can be of help at all just PM me.
What you're saying is completely illogical, and sounds like disguised preaching. Of course only one group is right, but it's almost impossible to figure out which one is, so you might as well go for what suits you.

OP: At the moments you seem like an atheist, but if you feel the need to check out several religions go ahead! I think right now you're realizing that the beliefs of those around you don't concur with yours, so you need to sort of define your beliefs better (am I right?).
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Exelus Offline
Aspiring Psychologist
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Russell

Points: 11,716, Level: 15 Points: 11,716, Level: 15 Points: 11,716, Level: 15

Re: So confused about religion. D= - December 7th 2009, 07:02 PM

As a religiously confused teenager, I can definitely associate with your problems. You may laugh at this, but I suggest that you look in to a loose form of Buddhism. Strict Buddhism is more of a philosophy than a religion, and they actually don't worship him. They believe in reincarnation, and if you lead a sufficiently righteous life, you will reach Nirvana. This is really nothing like heaven. It is described as a candlelight being blown out. Perfect serenity and peace.

Most of what they follow can be described as a better version of the ten commandments. Basically they tell you to do the best you can in life, and be the best person you can be. If you are interested in this kind of thing, or want more information on a religious subject, don't be afraid to let me know.

Since everyone else is mentioning it, I'll say that I'm a strict agnostic, and I really don't have any religious leanings. I do understand the need for faith though.

If at first you don't succeed, try try again. If you still don't succeed, redefine success.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

(#7 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Points: 14,869, Level: 17 Points: 14,869, Level: 17 Points: 14,869, Level: 17

Re: So confused about religion. D= - December 7th 2009, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haley View Post
As far as the origin of the Universe... Well, there, I probably am more inclined to evolution.
Evolution has nothing to do with the origin of the universe and if you attempt to apply it, then you've distorted evolution completely. If you want a more scientific explanation for the origin of the universe, then it's the Big Bang Theory. I suggest if you wish to adhere to and use evolution as an explanation that you learn what it actually is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onion View Post

Preaching again aren't we? The problem with your entire reasoning is the underlying assumption that you can know which exact belief is the correct one out of all them. Many beliefs and religious profess to be correct but that doesn't mean they are correct, it just means they want the believers to think that. This is why you cannot mold yourself to the correct religion, which I'm assuming is Christianity in your view, because you can only perceive it to be correct but there is no actual evidence to indicate it is correct while others are wrong. Christianity is no exception to this. Since it comes down to perception, what we determine to be correct will not be based on formal evidence.

Since it's impossible thus far to objectively know what religion is correct, then you have to construct your beliefs that you like or go into an already-formed one.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Double X Offline
bee boop
I've been here a while

Name: Kyle

Points: 16,164, Level: 18 Points: 16,164, Level: 18 Points: 16,164, Level: 18

Re: So confused about religion. D= - December 7th 2009, 09:10 PM

I am not a Buddhist but I'd like to agree with Exelus and say that if you really want to just test out religion, Buddhism is almost a philsophy rather than a religion. Even so, every Buddhist I know (three!) all seem to be very relaxed and at peace with themselves. It really stresses being happy with yourself rather than pleasing some foreign deity.

"We will ask nothing. We will demand nothing. We will take." -- May 1968, French Graffiti
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Points: 32,471, Level: 26 Points: 32,471, Level: 26 Points: 32,471, Level: 26

Re: So confused about religion. D= - December 7th 2009, 09:57 PM

It sounds like a lot of your beliefs coincide with Wicca. We believe in karma and reincarnation. So maybe that is something you should look into as well.
Ultimately, it is your choice. Read up on many different religions and eventually you will find one that is describing your beliefs. You shouldn’t have to bend your life to match the beliefs of your own faith. If you find that you are doing that, and doing so does not make you feel like a better person, then that isn’t for you. You will find your faith, just start looking. : )

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
baileybay Offline
bay
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Bailey

Points: 9,630, Level: 14 Points: 9,630, Level: 14 Points: 9,630, Level: 14

Re: So confused about religion. D= - December 9th 2009, 06:32 AM

I was confused for a long time. I don't like organized religon. I don't know what will come next after this life. And I don't know if what I choose to belive is right. What have come to relize is this. Everything around me didnt just happen. All things happen for a reason. There is a purpose in this life. And most importantly for me, there is a power greater than myself. I dont know what it is and I dont know how it works i just know its there, or i wouldnt be here. hope this helps when someone explained it to me like this it helped me
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Jacksonian Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jackson

Points: 13,034, Level: 16 Points: 13,034, Level: 16 Points: 13,034, Level: 16

Re: So confused about religion. D= - December 9th 2009, 04:59 PM

All religions follow the Bible. By this is mean Catholic, SDA, and others. The different ones are Muslim and others.(Need some help for definite religions and what they follow eg Muslims follow the Qu'ran). But if you want to be a christian then read the Bible. That is the one thing you should keep your mind on should you choose to folloe religions.
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Points: 32,471, Level: 26 Points: 32,471, Level: 26 Points: 32,471, Level: 26

Re: So confused about religion. D= - December 9th 2009, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksonian View Post
All religions follow the Bible.
Well that is very much far from the truth. Only Islam, Judaism and Christianity follow the bible and versions of it. The rest of the world doesn’t. Major religions like Buddhism and Hinduism have their own religions texts. Not to mention the numerous pagan religions from Western Europe. I just wanted to clear that up.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Jacksonian Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jackson

Points: 13,034, Level: 16 Points: 13,034, Level: 16 Points: 13,034, Level: 16

Re: So confused about religion. D= - December 12th 2009, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzie View Post

Well that is very much far from the truth. Only Islam, Judaism and Christianity follow the bible and versions of it. The rest of the world doesn’t. Major religions like Buddhism and Hinduism have their own religions texts. Not to mention the numerous pagan religions from Western Europe. I just wanted to clear that up.
Thank you for the clarification Lizzie.

Just wanted to add, focus first on the religion that favors good will towards all men. If you see many do that then select one and just be good, stay on the righteous side and all will be made clear and you will understand more.
Closed Thread