View Single Post
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
WashoutThePain Offline
=]
Outside, huh?

Name: Ask Away!

Points: 52,404, Level: 32 Points: 52,404, Level: 32 Points: 52,404, Level: 32

Re: Do you have a diagnosed physical or mental disability? - January 13th 2010, 12:53 AM

Mentally, nothing diagnosed, but a few counselors and therapists have said I am definitely depressed.

Physically:
I have a hiatal hernia. Basically, my stomach pushed into my esophagus so a lot a lot a lot of the acid comes back up into my mouth after I eat. I used to throw up a crap load, but I've been able to change my diet enough to fix this. I used to take medication for years, but now I live on the edge and go without it. Granted, it's really weird when I go back on the pills occasionally. I find that it is really numbing because I am so used to tasting acid 24/7. I am pretty good at gageing how much I can eat/ what I can eat. I must take pills with me to different environments though seeing as I don't know the food as well. I got this apparently from stress, says my doctor. The average age for this "problem" is like 60 xD
I figured this falls under a disability because it ruins my ability to eat normally. I cope with it... by trying to manage my meals and such.

My other disability is my Auditory Processing Disorder. While I was learning how to speak and understand words, I used to replace a lot of words for those that rhyme. For instance, if my mom told me we were going to make an arts and crafts project when we get home from the store, I heard it as we were going to sake a arts and crafts project when we get lone from the core or something A lot of what I hear are sounds, but nothing sensical. Basically, I learned how to lip-read a little and use context clues to make sure I wasn't saying something dumb! I was tested at age 3, and retested about 3 years ago. I don't remember exactly, but my ear-brain connection thing on my left ear can process like 40% of what is being said, while my right ear can process about 60%. Which is why I sit sideways to the TV usually xDD Some of the bad parts besides the obvious ones are dealing with crowds. I get really nervous and terrified of crowds because I can basically hear nothing and everything is moving and it's just impossible for me to understand anything unless someone is screaming in my ear (repeated twice at least). How I cope: I refuse to get hearing aids, although I could really use some. But I do have a pretty good sense with lip reading as well as context clues. Also, I say, "What!?" a whole lot, and my friends are always supportive of me and repeat things to no end