TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Disabilities Living with a disability, either physical or mental, can be both challenging and life changing. For support, questions and discussions relating to disabilities, post here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Bibliophile Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 51,232, Level: 32 Points: 51,232, Level: 32 Points: 51,232, Level: 32

Do you have a diagnosed physical or mental disability? - January 12th 2010, 06:43 PM

Do you have a diagnosed physical or mental disability? If so what is the disability that you have, how does it affect you, and how do you cope with it?

Thank you in advance.
Rie.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount63

Edit avatar

Re: Do you have a diagnosed physical or mental disability? - January 12th 2010, 06:48 PM

Oh good I have a lot of mental ones:
ADHD- I am on meds even though its still hard to concentrate I just have to try harder then most people

Depresion-On pills its hard but I cope

Bi-polar-On pills

Anxiety- Just have to calm myself down

Insomia-On meds

There is probley more but those are the only ones I can think of right now.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Ashlii Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Ashlii

Points: 9,101, Level: 13 Points: 9,101, Level: 13 Points: 9,101, Level: 13

Re: Do you have a diagnosed physical or mental disability? - January 12th 2010, 06:58 PM

I have diabetes it affects me because when people ask to go to the movies or out top dinner or something, I can't eat anything, and I constantly have to carry my medicine w/ me and at parties I can't eat anything due to the lack of sugar free stuff. Thats about it though

Adulthood is not about age, its about reaction.

-Ashlii
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Points: 19,767, Level: 20 Points: 19,767, Level: 20 Points: 19,767, Level: 20

Re: Do you have a diagnosed physical or mental disability? - January 12th 2010, 07:01 PM

I could have sworn there was a thread like this before but I can't find it

I have Bipolar I Disorder (Taking Depakote twice a day)
I also have Social Anxiety Disorder

Sometimes it doesn't affect me at all, I have periods of time where I'm totally symptom free. But then there are periods of time where I can't live my life like a normal person, and I sometimes need to go to the hospital during these times. I just started this medication yesterday actually, so hopefully it'll keep it from happening too often.

Member since 2005
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Doodle. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Ceilidh
Pronouns: Any/All

Points: 122,273, Level: 49 Points: 122,273, Level: 49 Points: 122,273, Level: 49

Re: Do you have a diagnosed physical or mental disability? - January 12th 2010, 07:24 PM

Ehlers-Danlos syndrome (classical) - I get tired easily, can't walk around a lot/do too much exercise, get partial subluxations (I'll probably get full subluxations when I'm older), I bruise easily etc. :|

Wouldn't shock me if I had some form of depression either.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."

Last edited by Doodle.; January 12th 2010 at 08:02 PM.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
i_am_me_again Offline
I'm A Pyschotic Neurotic.
I can't get enough

Name: Jaymi

Points: 37,322, Level: 27 Points: 37,322, Level: 27 Points: 37,322, Level: 27

Re: Do you have a diagnosed physical or mental disability? - January 12th 2010, 08:32 PM

I have Borderline Personality Disorder. And Paranoid Schizophrenia.

I also have PCOS.

On the following meds;

- Abilify
- Depokate
- Clozaril
- Clonazepam
- Prozac
- Metformin
- The Mini Pill

A few more, which I dont know.

I struggle....a lot......these few years have been aweful with my mental and physically health.

HelpLink Mentor & Forum Moderator

PM me!

Our lives are like music.
It hits its high and low notes,
But in the end,
It all turns into a perfect melody
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
BabyIndia Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: India

Points: 14,786, Level: 17 Points: 14,786, Level: 17 Points: 14,786, Level: 17

Re: Do you have a diagnosed physical or mental disability? - January 12th 2010, 09:31 PM

I've got some form of depression, not sure what kind yet.

I also have a weird body lol, my spine is out of line with my hips, and my hips are out of line with my knees, i also have flat feet, Dropped shoulder and arthritis in several joints.

Doesn't really affect me much, well apart from I can't work in places where im constantly walking or standing. I also can't drive for long distances, or walk for long distances. In the cold I ache like an elderly person.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Crescendo Offline
Walking The Line
Junior TeenHelper

Name: ...

Points: 14,548, Level: 17 Points: 14,548, Level: 17 Points: 14,548, Level: 17

Re: Do you have a diagnosed physical or mental disability? - January 13th 2010, 12:12 AM

My "Disability":
I live in the US and am classified by my state as being "Severely Emotionally Disturbed" meaning I have mental health issues (Major Depression, Borderline Personality Disorder, PTSD, OCD, ADHD) so serious they interfere with my school performance/ability to attend school.

My "Disability"s Impact:
I've missed 11 of the last 17 months of school for mental health reasons (Being hospitalized/being in residential/being too anxious to go to school) I go to a Therapeutic School that is paid for by the state and is able to provide me with much smaller classes, more individual attention, more flexibility in due dates, and more emotional support. My mental health issues make it hard for me to focus for long periods of time, anxious when i have my back to people, anxious when anything related to sex or sexual violence comes up, anxious being alone with males, etc. Those issues sometimes lead to me dissociating or numbing out. I cut and consider suicide. I've gained a ridiculous amount of weight. When I was still in public school I would cry in class sometimes and constantly be in the school counselor's office. I also have frequent mood swings, low self esteem, and trouble keeping friends which can occupy my mind and make it hard to find the motivation to do school work. I used to be a striaght A student who hardly ever missed school. Now i'm barely passing.

How I Cope:
Go to therapy (although my therapist doesn't think I'm improving and I think is going to not see much longer), try to take advantage of my bursts of energy/determination, try to focus on my goals so life seems more meaningful, take medication, try to get out into the sun & take care of myself as much as possible, and when I go out bring lots of little stress relievers with me (clay, journal, mp3 player, colored pencils, hand lotion, book, small stuffed key chain are always in my school bag for example)

I'm going to add another question.

My Outlook On How My Disability Will Affect Me In The Future:
Unsure. I'm nervous about college, because i'm afraid if i go away from home i wont have as much support, and i'm afraid i would fail out if i don't get my life together because I would have so many absences. If i manage to force myself to stay in school, I expect I could graduate from highschool, college, and grad school, pursue my desired perfession, and become a foster parent, as i want to. I expect that I will be depressed much of my life, and that if i get married it would end in bitter divorce, if i manage to not off myself before that point. It's touch and go lately, but i'm trying to hold on to hope.

Megan

When the patient's body has betrayed them,
and all the sciencewe have to offer has failed them,
when worst-case scenario comes true,
clinging to hope is all we've got left.
-grey's.anatomy-
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
WashoutThePain Offline
=]
Outside, huh?

Name: Ask Away!

Points: 52,404, Level: 32 Points: 52,404, Level: 32 Points: 52,404, Level: 32

Re: Do you have a diagnosed physical or mental disability? - January 13th 2010, 12:53 AM

Mentally, nothing diagnosed, but a few counselors and therapists have said I am definitely depressed.

Physically:
I have a hiatal hernia. Basically, my stomach pushed into my esophagus so a lot a lot a lot of the acid comes back up into my mouth after I eat. I used to throw up a crap load, but I've been able to change my diet enough to fix this. I used to take medication for years, but now I live on the edge and go without it. Granted, it's really weird when I go back on the pills occasionally. I find that it is really numbing because I am so used to tasting acid 24/7. I am pretty good at gageing how much I can eat/ what I can eat. I must take pills with me to different environments though seeing as I don't know the food as well. I got this apparently from stress, says my doctor. The average age for this "problem" is like 60 xD
I figured this falls under a disability because it ruins my ability to eat normally. I cope with it... by trying to manage my meals and such.

My other disability is my Auditory Processing Disorder. While I was learning how to speak and understand words, I used to replace a lot of words for those that rhyme. For instance, if my mom told me we were going to make an arts and crafts project when we get home from the store, I heard it as we were going to sake a arts and crafts project when we get lone from the core or something A lot of what I hear are sounds, but nothing sensical. Basically, I learned how to lip-read a little and use context clues to make sure I wasn't saying something dumb! I was tested at age 3, and retested about 3 years ago. I don't remember exactly, but my ear-brain connection thing on my left ear can process like 40% of what is being said, while my right ear can process about 60%. Which is why I sit sideways to the TV usually xDD Some of the bad parts besides the obvious ones are dealing with crowds. I get really nervous and terrified of crowds because I can basically hear nothing and everything is moving and it's just impossible for me to understand anything unless someone is screaming in my ear (repeated twice at least). How I cope: I refuse to get hearing aids, although I could really use some. But I do have a pretty good sense with lip reading as well as context clues. Also, I say, "What!?" a whole lot, and my friends are always supportive of me and repeat things to no end

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Stardaze Offline
Hopeless Love
Jeez, get a life!

Points: 40,491, Level: 28 Points: 40,491, Level: 28 Points: 40,491, Level: 28

Re: Do you have a diagnosed physical or mental disability? - January 13th 2010, 07:59 PM

I have this.
(GAD) Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

https://health.google.com/health/ref...xiety+disorder

I'm on Xanax.

Physically- I have severe Scoliosis. Which
is a medical condition in which a person's spine is curved from side to side.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
♥Bliz Offline
Frosted but not frozen
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Kyle

Points: 12,470, Level: 16 Points: 12,470, Level: 16 Points: 12,470, Level: 16

Re: Do you have a diagnosed physical or mental disability? - January 13th 2010, 10:37 PM

Well for me mainly ADHD, that I just try to focus, use to be on meds but they sucked, it's not that bad.
I also have Autism but just a bit. I don't even remember the side affects of that..... well I pretty much pass by without making much of my disabilities. Sadly though i'm in a slightly specail class for it, one hour a day at school. used to be in for the whole day. It's so lame. With saying that though, i have to say it has helped me, but I think it can't do shit now. (it's impossible to get out all hours, without parents consent.) so I'm not completely fine, but I'm pretty cool with it.

If you ever need it, I'm here to help, talk, or whatever! ~~Kyle
Suicide helplines:
1-800-SUICIDE (784-2433) or 1-800-273-TALK (8255)
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
fallen fairy Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Fairy

Points: 12,495, Level: 16 Points: 12,495, Level: 16 Points: 12,495, Level: 16

Re: Do you have a diagnosed physical or mental disability? - January 14th 2010, 10:18 AM

So i have severe dyspraxia and scotopic sensitivity syndrome and with these i have low muscel tone, ligament laxity and chronic ankle instability although i don't consider any of the last 3 an actual disabilty or really to be honest scotopic sensitivity syndrome and most of the time i barely consider my dyspraxia a disability lol

But what all this actually means is as far as dyspraxia goes, i have very very bad hand-eye cooridnation, bad balance, bad spacial awareness i find organisation hard i have to like be overly organised or i get nothing done hmmmm i find social signals difficult to detect which is fine as everyone knows it.

Scotipic sensitvity sydnrome just means i have to wear funky coloured glasses when i'm reading mine are teal because i have a hyperactive optical nerve that processes too much light, it's actually kinda cool cos when i wear my glasses the world is just less bright but for my friends it's green which i always found super intresting

and the rest of it just means that my joints hate me and pop in and out of place at will and i have lots and lots of physio lol

over all to be honest i'm of the opinion things like that make you, you and i get extra time in exams and laptops and i deal pretty good
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Magical Forest. Offline
Crazy Penguin Lady
I can't get enough

Name: Hannah

Points: 30,771, Level: 25 Points: 30,771, Level: 25 Points: 30,771, Level: 25

Re: Do you have a diagnosed physical or mental disability? - January 14th 2010, 09:21 PM

I don't know if it's a disability or not, but I have been diagnosed with Joint Hypermobility Syndrome which is most commonly known as being 'double jointed'.
I hate it, everyone says it's 'cool' what I can do with my fingers, but it then means that my joints dislocate easier and my knees constantly ache and click all of the time.

I don't think I'd count mental illnesses as a 'mental disabilty'.
But I'll just say anyway.
Been diagnosed with Severe Clinical Depression and Post-Traumatic-Stress Disorder.
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
Alex xox Offline
Not a n00b

Points: 10,153, Level: 14 Points: 10,153, Level: 14 Points: 10,153, Level: 14

Re: Do you have a diagnosed physical or mental disability? - January 14th 2010, 10:42 PM

hmm well I have
Trichotillomania (spelling)
Clinical Depression
Mild OCD
and dyslexia

I also think that I have insomonia

I can generally cope quite and just put a face on in the morning to cover up any insecurities i may have

I think it's going to impact me more when I go to sixth form because I already know I won't be able to go to the local college because it'll be way too big and the same problem will probably reocour with going to university

If I say I'm fine...I'm not
If I say just leave me alone...just do it or you'll regret it
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Points: 88,231, Level: 42 Points: 88,231, Level: 42 Points: 88,231, Level: 42

Re: Do you have a diagnosed physical or mental disability? - January 16th 2010, 12:44 AM

I've been diagnosed with OCD and Depression.

I'm taking Lovan which helps with not only the Depression but actually helps with OCD symptoms as well.

Since I've started taking Lovan and gone to see a councillor I've improved DRAMATICALLY. I've been able to return to work, been able to touch things without having the need to wash my hands, been able to drive a lot more, eat things I've never eaten before when I was diagnosed with OCD, allow more people to touch me and to go out more often.
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
JonahIzPotato Offline
I am... ME.
Average Joe

Name: Jonah

Points: 13,540, Level: 16 Points: 13,540, Level: 16 Points: 13,540, Level: 16

Re: Do you have a diagnosed physical or mental disability? - January 21st 2010, 09:05 PM

Severe depression, on meds, they used to work but then they stopped working so now I feel awful.
Also social anxiety disorder. I hate it. Taking pills, but they're temporary so I'm only taking them for like a month because this is a hard time of year for me.
And my mom thinks I have bipolar or something of that sort.

My name is Jonah and I don't post things very often
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
JonahIzPotato Offline
I am... ME.
Average Joe

Name: Jonah

Points: 13,540, Level: 16 Points: 13,540, Level: 16 Points: 13,540, Level: 16

Re: Do you have a diagnosed physical or mental disability? - January 21st 2010, 09:06 PM

well, social anxiety and just regular anxiety

My name is Jonah and I don't post things very often
  (#18 (permalink)) Old
lilangel! Offline
Speeding through life
Average Joe

Name: Hannah

Points: 10,936, Level: 15 Points: 10,936, Level: 15 Points: 10,936, Level: 15

Re: Do you have a diagnosed physical or mental disability? - January 22nd 2010, 10:09 PM

Physical disability - Systemic onset chronic ideopathic juvinile rheumatoid arthritis.
it affects my whole body, legs and back more than anything, i have to use a wheelchair outside because my legs cant support my upper body and my upper body cant support my legs on my crutches for more than a few steps.
i take a big cocktail of medication everyday to keep me alive and out of hospital and chances are ill never be taken off them and will need a liver transplant at around 30 and am not expected to live past 55, but im supposed to be dead 5 times over so im good at defying the odds lol.
the doctors have no idea whats going on with me, im the complete opposite of a textbook case and there pretty much guessing what there doing with me, trial and error sort of thing.
i think i cope pretty well to be honest, i get on with my life and do the sorts of things 'normal' teenahers do, i just do it in my wheelchair. and my friends are awesome at helping me out, pushing me when i need it, opening stuff if i cant that day etc.
i have my days when i hate everything about my disability and stuff, but there not as often as they used to be.

and as for the mental disability, i have never been diagnosed because my psychologist didnt know how to word it haha. but pretty much it was to do with anger/stress/depression/OCD all rolled into one haha, really confusing, but i never took anything for it, just had therapy and went through a lot of different techniques.
long i know, but thats me lol

feel free to message me if i can help anyone with anything

-Hannah xx

"He who does not weep, does not see" - Les Miserables.

keep reaching and living your lives. you are who you are.

PM me whenever and ill do my best to help!

Im here if you ever need anyone to talk to or to have someone to listen to you
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Name: Amanda.

Points: 48,277, Level: 31 Points: 48,277, Level: 31 Points: 48,277, Level: 31

Re: Do you have a diagnosed physical or mental disability? - January 22nd 2010, 10:39 PM

I have depression, which I take medication for.

I haven't been diagnosed with bipolar disorder, because it's hard to diagnose in teens, but my psychiatrist put me on mood stabilizers to help with mood swings and violent thoughts. From five years old I've matched almost all the symptoms of bipolar disorder.

I also have social anxiety, and panic attacks due to this.

A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts

(#20 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Points: 38,778, Level: 28 Points: 38,778, Level: 28 Points: 38,778, Level: 28

Re: Do you have a diagnosed physical or mental disability? - January 22nd 2010, 11:58 PM

i have a prosthetic bone in my thigh because i had to have my whole thigh bone and most of the muscle in my thigh cut out. i had/have bone cancer [which is now in remission.] i'm going to have a muscle graft to help with my walking because i can't walk without a crutch for more than about 5 minutes or so. i should be able to walk near perfect again at some point in the future though. i also have a minor heart problem now because of the chemotherapy and my heart function is not great. i had a large piece of my left lung removed to remove some tumours that were there so i'm on anti-biotics that i'll be on for a few years to prevent infection and pneumonia type symptoms. i'm still having chemotherapy at the moment but if all goes well i'll be given the all clear in a few years after lots of check ups. -sigh- apart from that i'm in great health!!

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#21 (permalink)) Old
Ngikhona Offline
Inkululeko.
I've been here a while

Name: Keeley Siobhan

Points: 24,468, Level: 22 Points: 24,468, Level: 22 Points: 24,468, Level: 22

Re: Do you have a diagnosed physical or mental disability? - January 24th 2010, 12:16 AM

As far as physical disabilities go, I have kyphosis, scoliosis, and asthma. My kyphosis and scoliosis combined totally kill my posture, and I tend to have a decent amount of back pain if I have to sit or lay still for a long period of time. The diagnosis of my kyphosis caused my medical insurance to drop me because they thought I was more or less a liability, so I also had to change my medical insurance because of it. I used to be in physical therapy to cope with this, but I've been out of it for a while and probably need to go back and possibly get a brace. My asthma interferes with my life by making physical activities much harder to do, but I have an inhaler and it helps.

Mentally I have major depression, GAD, ADD, and some mild OCD and dyslexia. The depression and anxiety make it hard for me to get up in the morning and go to school and social events, the ADD makes it hard for me to concentrate once I get there, the OCD makes people think I'm insane when I'm running around straightening things up and tidying things when I'm not even in my own house, and the dyslexia causes me to write sentences like "the penguin slid" into "the denguin slip" since I mix up my Bs, Ps, and Ds. For the depression, GAD, ADD, and OCD I'm taking Sertraline and will be prescribed another medication in the near future since my GAD isn't being helped much. For dyslexia, I'm not getting any treatment as it's not technically diagnosed, so I just compensate for it with my intelligence.

"Love me for me, accept the fact I'm true, live like I want, fufill my dreams,
Dream of me, run out free, capture your words and never let them go."

I'll see you on the other side.
  (#22 (permalink)) Old
emma01 Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Emma
Pronouns: She/her

Points: 17,794, Level: 19 Points: 17,794, Level: 19 Points: 17,794, Level: 19

Re: Do you have a diagnosed physical or mental disability? - January 24th 2010, 03:35 AM

I know this is a waste of a post, but since it does say "Do you ..." not "What is your..." I guess I can say that No i do not have a diagnosed disability! And im thankful for that!
  (#23 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker

I can't get enough

Pronouns: They / them

Points: 67,797, Level: 37 Points: 67,797, Level: 37 Points: 67,797, Level: 37

Re: Do you have a diagnosed physical or mental disability? - January 29th 2010, 04:43 PM

i have ADHD afects my concentration and i can be very hyper at time and talkative and people find it hard to get me to be quiet at times, this means i am very senstive to e numbers and additives that are in food some drinks like oasis i cannot have because of all the colorings and e numbers in the drink, as pergers (form of autisim which affects how i understand how people feel, how i see thing i.e. if someone says to me oh look theres a flying pig i will look around expecting to see a flying pig, and it also makes socialising hard as i cannot tell when someone is being carcastic or serious, i cannot read body language or understand body language), i also have dyspraxia which means that im clumsy and am un co ordinated it also means that i get my left and right mixed up alot and it also means i find it hard to judge spaces and have poor spacial awarness and it also means i have slight lisp i have trouble with my w's and r's (if im on the phone to someone rocky comes out as wocky, and worry comes out as wowwy, it also means i am known to stumble over my words and talk really fast. and i have math dyslexia (dyscalculia) which means that i read some numbers back to front, have trouble setting out sums, drawing bar graphs on graph paper, can't make sense of long number sequnces or short number sequences, when counting i miss numbers out or start to count backwords, i have trouble memorising numbers and phone numbers, and the numbers move about the page. i have been diagnosed - with anixeiy, low self esteem, depression, low self confidence. i have been on ritalin and concerta and fish oils tablets for the ADHD but i am no longer on them and am not taking any medication of any sort at the moment.
  (#24 (permalink)) Old
xxxAJxxx Offline
TEIAM - problem solved.
Average Joe

Name: Aj

Points: 10,377, Level: 14 Points: 10,377, Level: 14 Points: 10,377, Level: 14

Re: Do you have a diagnosed physical or mental disability? - January 29th 2010, 10:36 PM

ADHD
Social Anxiety disorder
and Depression.

all of which I find it impossible to deal with.

"Now at the end of everyday I lie awake at night and wait
To feel the wires of my brain get cut and quietly rearranged, and
Hear my beaten heart exclaim, 'Still, I refuse to let her go.'"

So we escape to our mistakes for they wait patiently for us.
Oh, how they always wait for me.

If my fear has kept me here only my fear can set me free."
  (#25 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I am immortal. So far so good.
I can't get enough

Name: Matthew

Points: 38,917, Level: 28 Points: 38,917, Level: 28 Points: 38,917, Level: 28

Re: Do you have a diagnosed physical or mental disability? - January 30th 2010, 02:16 PM

Well there's a special thing that leads to bad handwriting, TERRIBLE MEMORY/ORGANIZATION, and clumsiness. I forget the name, but I have that
  (#26 (permalink)) Old
Briana Offline
A strong fighter
I can't get enough

Name: Bri

Points: 34,967, Level: 26 Points: 34,967, Level: 26 Points: 34,967, Level: 26

Re: Do you have a diagnosed physical or mental disability? - January 30th 2010, 04:18 PM

I have:

Scoliosis. I had the surgery for it December 2008, but I still have a curve in my lower back. It is hard to deal with, I usually get pain in my back, but I am slowly coping with the surgery and not being able to bend well.

LD-- Learning Disabilities. I learn a bit slower but learn easier with patterns and images. If that makes sense.

Anxiety-- I can't be in large groups without feeling overwhelmed and panicked. But not doing anything to help it at the moment.

Heart deffects-- a vsd and asd....aka holes in my heart. I have to be careful when I go to the dentist and doctors. I also take pills all the time for it.

"We accept the love we think we deserve."
"In that moment, I swear, we were Infinite."
"There's an I in Illness
and a We in Wellness."
  (#27 (permalink)) Old
i_am_me_again Offline
I'm A Pyschotic Neurotic.
I can't get enough

Name: Jaymi

Points: 37,322, Level: 27 Points: 37,322, Level: 27 Points: 37,322, Level: 27

Re: Do you have a diagnosed physical or mental disability? - January 30th 2010, 05:30 PM

Went to docs yesterday, to basically ask about my illness, coz they keep changing it.

Turns out I have PCOS, Bordliner PD, Paranoid Schizophrenia AND Phobic Anxiety

It just keeps getting worse.

HelpLink Mentor & Forum Moderator

PM me!

Our lives are like music.
It hits its high and low notes,
But in the end,
It all turns into a perfect melody
  (#28 (permalink)) Old
Feather Offline
Average Joe

Name: Andrea

Points: 9,969, Level: 14 Points: 9,969, Level: 14 Points: 9,969, Level: 14

Re: Do you have a diagnosed physical or mental disability? - January 30th 2010, 08:28 PM

I figured I would finally say something on this thread.

The doctors all agree that I do have a physical disability but none of them know what to call it. I have seen so many specialists and still there is no name.

But it affects my ability to walk and do anything with my legs really. I get tired easily and if I walk/stand for long periods of time or if I run for longer than about 5 minutes my legs start to ache so much. It's like shin splints (I'm told) but different. It is because my legs are 'built' differently.

It affects me more than just every day... it means that I can't go into certain careers that otherwise I would be a part of. Such as the military or the police force or RCMP (because I can't and never will be able to pass the physical). It really bothers me sometimes because I can't do things other people can, and people don't understand why I can't just get up and go for a run or walk around the city. It is one of my bigger reasons (definetely not the biggest) for being depressed at times.
  (#29 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount63

Edit avatar

Re: Do you have a diagnosed physical or mental disability? - January 30th 2010, 09:06 PM

So I have thought up more that I have.

Learning Disabilities- It's not to the point where I'm in a special ed class it's just that I learn a lot slower and diffrently then other people. I am in rescourse and have an IEP which lets me have accomidations such as: More time on test, extra day to turn homework/classwork in..teachers actually giving me the notes instead of taking them myself.

PTSD-They think I have this but there not positive. It's probaly true considering I went through a fase where I would get flash back of stuff and they would go away and freak the shit out of me and I couldn't cope

OC It's not as bad as some people my OCD is mainly just asking the same question over and over....Or repeating myself like saying sorry all the time even when I don't need to.
  (#30 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
Article Editor

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 63,002, Level: 36 Points: 63,002, Level: 36 Points: 63,002, Level: 36

Re: Do you have a diagnosed physical or mental disability? - January 31st 2010, 04:58 PM

Dyslexia.
Anxiety Disorder
Bipolar Disorder
Arthritis
Asthma

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

Article Editor
Social Media Guru|Live Help Mentor|HelpLINK Mentor
Chat Moderator|Forum Moderator(Young at Heart)
  (#31 (permalink)) Old
Briana Offline
A strong fighter
I can't get enough

Name: Bri

Points: 34,967, Level: 26 Points: 34,967, Level: 26 Points: 34,967, Level: 26

Re: Do you have a diagnosed physical or mental disability? - January 31st 2010, 05:58 PM

I forgot one:
Reynauds-- I can't go out into freezing weather because my fingers would turn white. There is medicine for it, but I dont want take it. They also think, it is why I have a weird reaction to the sun's heat. I am just a mess. xD

"We accept the love we think we deserve."
"In that moment, I swear, we were Infinite."
"There's an I in Illness
and a We in Wellness."
  (#32 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Points: 21,551, Level: 21 Points: 21,551, Level: 21 Points: 21,551, Level: 21

Re: Do you have a diagnosed physical or mental disability? - January 31st 2010, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
Well there's a special thing that leads to bad handwriting, TERRIBLE MEMORY/ORGANIZATION, and clumsiness. I forget the name, but I have that
dyspraxia? or something like that?
  (#33 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: Ivan"Chandler" Brown

Points: 10,664, Level: 15 Points: 10,664, Level: 15 Points: 10,664, Level: 15

Re: Do you have a diagnosed physical or mental disability? - February 3rd 2010, 03:14 AM

i have bi polar, depression, and anxiety. I cope with them by taking meds
  (#34 (permalink)) Old
SubFocus Offline
Not a n00b

Points: 9,890, Level: 14 Points: 9,890, Level: 14 Points: 9,890, Level: 14

Re: Do you have a diagnosed physical or mental disability? - February 3rd 2010, 10:35 AM

Asthma
Anxiety Disorder
Cold Urticaria (allergic to the cold, lol )

(#35 (permalink)) Old
Just Peachy. Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

Points: 63,646, Level: 36 Points: 63,646, Level: 36 Points: 63,646, Level: 36

Re: Do you have a diagnosed physical or mental disability? - February 3rd 2010, 03:56 PM

ADHD --On Meds
Anxiety-- Trying to decide if I want to be on meds
PTSD--No Meds
On the edge of depression.

(#36 (permalink)) Old
Emzy Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Points: 15,264, Level: 18 Points: 15,264, Level: 18 Points: 15,264, Level: 18

Re: Do you have a diagnosed physical or mental disability? - February 4th 2010, 03:57 PM

anxiety
depression
insomnia

on tablets for them.
  (#37 (permalink)) Old
honeycake Offline
If you need a friend, i'm here
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: jodie

Points: 16,268, Level: 18 Points: 16,268, Level: 18 Points: 16,268, Level: 18

Re: Do you have a diagnosed physical or mental disability? - February 4th 2010, 11:35 PM

When i was 2 i was diagnosed with CP (Cerebral Palsy) a mild form down my left side the doctors also call it Hemiplegia when i was born i had water on the brain and wasn't drained, I do wear glasses for eye problems but not much now. The doctors are sending me to a shoemaker specialist to help with my hammer toes because they've got bad and they can't guantee the shoes will work and there is some complications with the operation it can lead to downsides and me hardly walking again so yeah but apart from that i'm fine little blance issues but ok

Darlin' don't leave me out here in the cold
I'm begging you baby don't leave me out here on my own I'll die, If you don't hold me tight Tonight, I couldn't make it outside If I tried, So please let me in lover,
Be kind ♥
  (#38 (permalink)) Old
emma01 Offline
I've been here a while

Pronouns: She/her

Points: 17,794, Level: 19 Points: 17,794, Level: 19 Points: 17,794, Level: 19

Re: Do you have a diagnosed physical or mental disability? - February 5th 2010, 07:02 AM

Well, actualy take back my last post, I have since then been diagnosed with an Eating Disorder...how do I deal with it, well...I dont really know. Its hell especially at school when people comment on either weight loss or my lack of lunch...um I guess I just try and get rid of the feelings and try and allow myself to eat but it is very hard to eat, very hard. I never thought it would be. Im seeing a dietician about it though!
Closed Thread