View Single Post
  (#42 (permalink)) Old
Storyteller. Offline
Spite and coffee.

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Charlie
Pronouns: they/them

Points: 106,701, Level: 46 Points: 106,701, Level: 46 Points: 106,701, Level: 46

Re: Is Atheism a Religion? - March 21st 2010, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by !!!YOU'RE$NUCKING$FUTZ!!! View Post
Although I agree with your conclusion, your argument has some pretty big holes. The main issue is you say atheism is not having a religion. Well, unfortunately, that's not what atheism is but rather disbelief in a higher being, which as you kindly showed, disbelief in a higher being doesn't equate to non-religiousness. Your second flaw is circular reasoning and some backwards reasoning in that you say since atheism lacks a religious belief, it therefore is not a religion. A bat does not have wings yet it can still fly; a penguin has wings yet it cannot fly. Your argument of it not being a religion is an assumption, one which you have provided no argument for. As with the bat and penguin, this is meant to show the problem with saying since X does not have Y, then X is not/cannot do Y.
Hm, I see your point, but this is how I see it -
Religions involve a few things: beliefs, sacred texts (eg the Bible), rituals (like prayer), ceremonies (like Baptism), sacred spaces (eg a synagogue), and a worldview.
Can you honestly say that atheism has any of those?
People of a certain religion are drawn together by their faith in that religion. The only thing drawing atheists together, in my opinion at least, is their lack of religion.

"Love means never having to say
you're a werewolf."