TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

View Poll Results: Is Atheism a Religion?
Yes 9 16.07%
Maybe (in certain circumstances -- yes) 5 8.93%
No 40 71.43%
Uncertain 2 3.57%
Voters: 56. This poll is closed

Closed Thread

(#41 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Points: 23,852, Level: 22 Points: 23,852, Level: 22 Points: 23,852, Level: 22

Re: Is Atheism a Religion? - March 21st 2010, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by !!!YOU'RE$NUCKING$FUTZ!!! View Post
Not all atheists believe in scientific theories but many do, so I'd hardly say that accepting scientific theories is a requirement for atheism.
Funny, nobody said it was a requirement. Its just the norm. I mean, usually when you're Atheist, it's because you don't believe in the religious ideals, which most commonly deals with things like the world as it is and how it became. So majority of the time, the Atheist belief system of how the world came to be is based on scientific principle, instead of the ideas of creationism. It's the norm, but its not required.

Then again, going to church isn't required to believe in Creationism either. Or to be part of a religion. In fact, my older sister is a Catholic, her husband is Catholic, and shes raising her son Catholic, but they don't go to Church. She doesn't really have TIME for Church. Her son (my nephew) goes to a Catholic school, and they participate in Lent, but thats pretty much it.
  (#42 (permalink)) Old
Storyteller. Offline
Spite and coffee.

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Charlie
Pronouns: they/them

Points: 106,519, Level: 46 Points: 106,519, Level: 46 Points: 106,519, Level: 46

Re: Is Atheism a Religion? - March 21st 2010, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Although I agree with your conclusion, your argument has some pretty big holes. The main issue is you say atheism is not having a religion. Well, unfortunately, that's not what atheism is but rather disbelief in a higher being, which as you kindly showed, disbelief in a higher being doesn't equate to non-religiousness. Your second flaw is circular reasoning and some backwards reasoning in that you say since atheism lacks a religious belief, it therefore is not a religion. A bat does not have wings yet it can still fly; a penguin has wings yet it cannot fly. Your argument of it not being a religion is an assumption, one which you have provided no argument for. As with the bat and penguin, this is meant to show the problem with saying since X does not have Y, then X is not/cannot do Y.
Hm, I see your point, but this is how I see it -
Religions involve a few things: beliefs, sacred texts (eg the Bible), rituals (like prayer), ceremonies (like Baptism), sacred spaces (eg a synagogue), and a worldview.
Can you honestly say that atheism has any of those?
People of a certain religion are drawn together by their faith in that religion. The only thing drawing atheists together, in my opinion at least, is their lack of religion.

"Love means never having to say
you're a werewolf."
  (#43 (permalink)) Old
Xujhan Offline
Resident Atheist
I can't get enough

Name: Fletcher

Points: 22,302, Level: 21 Points: 22,302, Level: 21 Points: 22,302, Level: 21

Re: Is Atheism a Religion? - March 21st 2010, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algernon View Post
Know why I think some Atheists are upset about this? Because they want people to think they are spiritual, and if they don't have any beliefs whatsoever, then they might be cold hearted or unopen the things around them.
Hang on, wait, you mean upset that people don't see atheism as a religion? I've met many atheists in my life who'd prefer to not be thought of as religious, but not one who'd prefer it if they were. What atheists as a group tend to object to is this idea that not having any religious belief means that you're more inclined to be cold-hearted.

The atoms that make up you and me were born in the hearts of suns many times greater than ours, and in time our atoms will once again reside amongst the stars. Life is but an idle dalliance of the cosmos, frail, and soon forgotten. We have been set adrift in an ocean whose tides we are only beginning to comprehend and with that maturity has come the realization that we are, at least for now, alone. In that loneliness, it falls to us to shine as brightly as the stars from which we came.
  (#44 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25

Re: Is Atheism a Religion? - March 21st 2010, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x.Psychic Crisis.x View Post
Hm, I see your point, but this is how I see it -
Religions involve a few things: beliefs, sacred texts (eg the Bible), rituals (like prayer), ceremonies (like Baptism), sacred spaces (eg a synagogue), and a worldview.
Can you honestly say that atheism has any of those?
People of a certain religion are drawn together by their faith in that religion. The only thing drawing atheists together, in my opinion at least, is their lack of religion.
Atheists are drawn together by faith also, however, it's not theistic faith but atheistic faith. As for your question, atheism does have a belief (can extend to make it plural also) and does have a worldview (i.e. no god is responsible for events).
  (#45 (permalink)) Old
CoffeeAddict Offline
legen..wait for it..DARY
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Steph

Points: 11,931, Level: 15 Points: 11,931, Level: 15 Points: 11,931, Level: 15

Re: Is Atheism a Religion? - March 21st 2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielR View Post
Atheism is not a religion. Being Atheist means you DON'T believe in religions.
So, I voted no.
Bingo! That's why I voted no.

Who do you carry that torch for, my young man?
Do you believe in anything?
Or do you carry it around just to burn things down?

Meet me tonight on the turnpike my darling,
where we believe in everything.
If we sweat all these debts then we're sure to drown,
so let's strap ourselves up to this engine now
with our God who we found laying under the back seat.
  (#46 (permalink)) Old
DragonRider Offline
Formerly DragonRider :P
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Chloe

Points: 10,254, Level: 14 Points: 10,254, Level: 14 Points: 10,254, Level: 14

Re: Is Atheism a Religion? - March 21st 2010, 04:23 PM

"Saying atheism is a religion is like saying bald is a hair colour." - Mark Twain

Atheism is a belief and a belief does not have to be a religion. It also seems that every dictionary I look at defines religion as the worship of or devotion to a higher being or supernatural power.

"The organised belief in or worhip of a god or gods." - Penguin English Dictionary
"Belief in, worship of or obedience to a supernatural power or powers considered to be divine or to have control over human destiny." - Collins Concise Dictionary
"The belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods." - Oxford English Dictionary

This suggests that atheism is the opposite of religion.

"Why is it that, as a culture, we are more comfortable seeing two men holding guns than holding hands?" ~ Ernest Gaines

She was whole before that night,
Believed in heaven before that night,
And she's not the only one,
She knows she won't be the only one.
She's not asking what you're going to tell your daughter,
She's asking what you're going to teach your son.
  (#47 (permalink)) Old
Xujhan Offline
Resident Atheist
I can't get enough

Name: Fletcher

Points: 22,302, Level: 21 Points: 22,302, Level: 21 Points: 22,302, Level: 21

Re: Is Atheism a Religion? - March 21st 2010, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonRider View Post
"Saying atheism is a religion is like saying bald is a hair colour." - Mark Twain
Can always count on Mark Twain for a little humorous insight. Thanks for the quote, it definitely made my day.

The atoms that make up you and me were born in the hearts of suns many times greater than ours, and in time our atoms will once again reside amongst the stars. Life is but an idle dalliance of the cosmos, frail, and soon forgotten. We have been set adrift in an ocean whose tides we are only beginning to comprehend and with that maturity has come the realization that we are, at least for now, alone. In that loneliness, it falls to us to shine as brightly as the stars from which we came.
  (#48 (permalink)) Old
Storyteller. Offline
Spite and coffee.

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Charlie
Pronouns: they/them

Points: 106,519, Level: 46 Points: 106,519, Level: 46 Points: 106,519, Level: 46

Re: Is Atheism a Religion? - March 22nd 2010, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xujhan View Post
Can always count on Mark Twain for a little humorous insight. Thanks for the quote, it definitely made my day.
Agreed. I couldn't help but laugh at that quote.

"Love means never having to say
you're a werewolf."
  (#49 (permalink)) Old
Penguin Queen Offline
Penguin queen!!
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Annie

Points: 12,276, Level: 16 Points: 12,276, Level: 16 Points: 12,276, Level: 16

Re: Is Atheism a Religion? - March 24th 2010, 02:37 PM

I don't personally see it as one. All atheists have in common is a belief there is no god. Although many atheists share other beliefs (e.g. evolution) not all do, and its certainly not a requirement.

fait
h is a bluebird that you see from afar
it is real and as sure as the first evening star
can't touch it, or buy it, or lock it up tight
but its there just the same
making things turn out right

LE PE
NGUIN QUEEN

(#50 (permalink)) Old
wolfsvalentine Offline
Asesino, he dicho.
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Lindsay

Points: 9,061, Level: 13 Points: 9,061, Level: 13 Points: 9,061, Level: 13

Re: Is Atheism a Religion? - April 6th 2010, 07:04 PM

I'm an atheist myself. And I guess I'd have to say no, it's not a religion. Atheism is a set of beliefs- well, actively disbelieving in the existence of god(s). And isn't religion the set of beliefs relating to your deity of choice? Atheism is the purposeful act of denying religion.

"I packed all your favorite promises
and words that we kept
you weren't hard to find, all it took was thirteen steps"

- alecto.tumblr.com

12.27.08;
así te amo porque no sé amar de otra manera
These empty rooms are still filled with you.
  (#51 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Name: Holly

Points: 39,834, Level: 28 Points: 39,834, Level: 28 Points: 39,834, Level: 28

Re: Is Atheism a Religion? - April 6th 2010, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Not all atheists believe in scientific theories but many do, so I'd hardly say that accepting scientific theories is a requirement for atheism.

Huh? Are you actually serious? It could be the more sensible thing that they do not consider themselves religious and hence would not want to be incorrectly labeled, especially if they are against religion. What does having religious or spiritual beliefs have anything to do with being open? I know many Christians, who by definition are spiritual or religious yet mention the word "evolution" and they are more resistant and closed-up than a brick wall. But that shouldn't happen, now should it?

It may come as a surprise but atheists do have beliefs, they do have morals, they do have ethics and here comes the kicker, they can be spiritual yet atheistic.

Why do I recognize this so much as reverting back to Mosh4Jesus?

Ah, I still am Mosh4Jesus babe, don't forget that. =) Just because someone has a different name doesn't make them a different person.

The poll doesn't lie. Everyone has beliefs. If you had religious beliefs than being an atheists would be a total contradiction. Atheists do not have religious beliefs. Therefore It's not a religion.

Geek? Nerd? More like intellectual badass.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."
  (#52 (permalink)) Old
hopefaithlove Offline
I've been here a while

Points: 24,983, Level: 22 Points: 24,983, Level: 22 Points: 24,983, Level: 22

Re: Is Atheism a Religion? - April 6th 2010, 09:53 PM

Just a friendly reminder for everyone to stay on topic and be respectful to one another.

There is always hope. PM me anytime.
SH Free since 10.20.08
Closed Thread