View Single Post
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
PlayingPretend Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Elliotte

Points: 20,004, Level: 20 Points: 20,004, Level: 20 Points: 20,004, Level: 20

Re: what is a good site for teaching your child about sex and puberty? - July 2nd 2010, 09:09 PM

To add to Charlotte's point about there being the odd question, I also feel that talking to your children in person allows for a positive communication. For example, my mother was one who handed me a book and that was that. I was naive for a long time and thought of sex and anything related to sexuality (be it a sexual act or even about my development as a woman) as very, very taboo. It wasn't until in recent years, when she became more open about it, that I also became more open about it with her, and as such, was able to get questions answered and it also helped me be more open with doctors etc. I'll admit that a friend pushed me in the direction of feeling comfortable about sex and with my sexuality, but that push was what I and my mother needed to get the ball rolling. I feel that it's important to have that communication in case your child does end up having sex or does end up becoming sexually active in some way; it's also a good thing to have in the event something comes up with your child that he might not feel comfortable bringing up to you or even discussing with a doctor. I'd honestly rather have open pathways of communication (you don't need to be open about your sex life, go into excruciating detail about sex or anything inappropriate, simply enough to answer his questions) than have my child later sneaking about or feeling too scared to come to me. Not to mention that it's a common misconception that openly speaking about it condones the behaviour. I've honestly found more reckless behaviour in children who have restricted or limited knowledge about sex, and that people in open families tend to be more careful and thought-out with their behaviour. Just my observation from people I know. Good luck.
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.