View Single Post
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Twisted Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Points: 13,581, Level: 16 Points: 13,581, Level: 16 Points: 13,581, Level: 16

Re: dating people you met online, the good things. - August 18th 2010, 09:56 AM

I think it can work for some people, not many but a very small number of people. However most people i hear having online relationships where they have actually progressed into meeting in person and moving in and even getting married are from adults, usually middle-aged (i've heard storied about people meeting over e-bay). I'm not trying to generalise this is just what i've seen personally. But i think the reason its like this is because as an adult you have a lot more freedom, you may have your own transport and in most cases you'll have the money to travel to said country/region to see that person.

As a teenager especially if you still have school it's a lot harder to maintain and there isn't really any future, imo. I mean you can't just jump on a plane to see that person, you'll have to wait years just to get a job and start earning some money so you can see that person (unless you're lucky and parents are willing to pay/let you fly halfway accross the world to meet someone in person for the first time), there's also the chance that they might not be who they say they are (although this could be said for any LDR) and the added strain of worrying about whether that person is also taking the relationship seriously and isn't sleeping around when they're offline.

All in all i don't think LDR and online is the way to go in terms of relationships, it's a lot healthier to get out there and meet people in person. I don't have a problem with online friends but i think if it turns into a relationship then you're just gonna get more emotional pain and strain than anyone needs really. Maybe it's because i'm the sort of person who needs physical contact as part of a relationship, but i'm lucky because i've never been in an LDR, i always knew they were bad news and even though i've met people on the internet who maybe i could have gotten in a relationship with i've known better imo in just keeping friends. Afterall if i'd tied myself down to some online personality then i wouldn't have met my current boyfreind who i can honestly say is the best thing to ever happen to me.