Thread: Triggering (Substances): No drugs? No alcohol or nicotine? No problem!
View Single Post
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Brandon

Points: 30,381, Level: 25 Points: 30,381, Level: 25 Points: 30,381, Level: 25

No drugs? No alcohol or nicotine? No problem! - November 25th 2010, 07:59 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of substance use, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Some people have asked me one simple question that I think about on a day-to-day basis:

"Why not?"

Well...why not? Did I go through a traumatic experience that developed an extreme hatred towards drugs, alcohol, and nicotine? Did I inherit someone's genes that just so happened to be strongly against drugs, alcohol, and nicotine as well? What exactly was the cause of my opinion on those three controversial things that are so common in modern times? Is it really an opinion, or is it because I'm "scared" to try them? If I choose not to involve myself with them, does that mean that I'm "not living?" That I choose to live a different lifestyle, not because of any statistic, not because of any scientist, not because it's illegal, not because of anyone but myself? Is it okay to have an opinion regardless of what "evidence" people claim they have? Am I just not "fun" enough?

I've been offered all three from various friends and family members, and my automatic response is "no." No contemplation, no argument, not even a shred of thought crosses my mind. Does that make me a bad person? Does that make me a good person?

Not many of my family members seem to wrap around the idea that I have no desire to do any of those things. I've been offered alcohol and marijuana from my own family members. It disgusts me. My family knows this, and yet they continue to promote the idea of underage drinking and doing drugs right in my face. And they get angry, after I've told them several times before, that I don't want anything to do with those things and if they don't like it, they can "suck my dick."

That's what I told my dad after he tried to "debate" about my views on drugs and alcohol. He said that I wasn't capable of having an intelligible conversation. No, you're a 45 year old man living with your parents with a part time job, no college education, offering minors alcohol and smiling when giving stories about smoking pot, or drinking alcohol. No, I'm capable of having an intelligible conversation...and I'm intelligent enough to know that what I say or what someone else says won't make any difference. So why bother? Why try to "prove me wrong" when I really could care less what you think? Your opinion doesn't matter when it comes to mind. All it does is waste your time trying, makes you look stupid, and just makes me want to punch you in the face more.