TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Drugs, Alcohol and Addiction Whether you are combating substance abuse or struggling with another addiction such as gambling, this forum is here to provide support and answer your questions.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Brandon

Points: 30,381, Level: 25 Points: 30,381, Level: 25 Points: 30,381, Level: 25

No drugs? No alcohol or nicotine? No problem! - November 25th 2010, 07:59 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of substance use, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Some people have asked me one simple question that I think about on a day-to-day basis:

"Why not?"

Well...why not? Did I go through a traumatic experience that developed an extreme hatred towards drugs, alcohol, and nicotine? Did I inherit someone's genes that just so happened to be strongly against drugs, alcohol, and nicotine as well? What exactly was the cause of my opinion on those three controversial things that are so common in modern times? Is it really an opinion, or is it because I'm "scared" to try them? If I choose not to involve myself with them, does that mean that I'm "not living?" That I choose to live a different lifestyle, not because of any statistic, not because of any scientist, not because it's illegal, not because of anyone but myself? Is it okay to have an opinion regardless of what "evidence" people claim they have? Am I just not "fun" enough?

I've been offered all three from various friends and family members, and my automatic response is "no." No contemplation, no argument, not even a shred of thought crosses my mind. Does that make me a bad person? Does that make me a good person?

Not many of my family members seem to wrap around the idea that I have no desire to do any of those things. I've been offered alcohol and marijuana from my own family members. It disgusts me. My family knows this, and yet they continue to promote the idea of underage drinking and doing drugs right in my face. And they get angry, after I've told them several times before, that I don't want anything to do with those things and if they don't like it, they can "suck my dick."

That's what I told my dad after he tried to "debate" about my views on drugs and alcohol. He said that I wasn't capable of having an intelligible conversation. No, you're a 45 year old man living with your parents with a part time job, no college education, offering minors alcohol and smiling when giving stories about smoking pot, or drinking alcohol. No, I'm capable of having an intelligible conversation...and I'm intelligent enough to know that what I say or what someone else says won't make any difference. So why bother? Why try to "prove me wrong" when I really could care less what you think? Your opinion doesn't matter when it comes to mind. All it does is waste your time trying, makes you look stupid, and just makes me want to punch you in the face more.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Alisha

Points: 17,311, Level: 19 Points: 17,311, Level: 19 Points: 17,311, Level: 19

Re: No drugs? No alcohol or nicotine? No problem! - November 25th 2010, 02:18 PM

Actually, I think you are REALLY cool for being you. Being honest here, I'm 16 years old and I already have problems with drugs and it makes me feel good to hear that there are people who don't care for using drugs so good job

Everthing I see seems to be a lie. And everything you see in me you think is the truth. But, really all you see is what I'm masking the real me with. You never see me cry. Because I'll never let you. And you'll never see me die because I feel like I already have in a way.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Brandon

Points: 30,381, Level: 25 Points: 30,381, Level: 25 Points: 30,381, Level: 25

Re: No drugs? No alcohol or nicotine? No problem! - November 25th 2010, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBrunetteCutie4Ever View Post
Actually, I think you are REALLY cool for being you. Being honest here, I'm 16 years old and I already have problems with drugs and it makes me feel good to hear that there are people who don't care for using drugs so good job
It's unnecessary. People need to get off my nuts. I'm not trying to be cool or go against the crowd, I just have an opinion about something and don't have any desire to do any of those things. I simply refuse, and have no problem doing so.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Points: 23,852, Level: 22 Points: 23,852, Level: 22 Points: 23,852, Level: 22

Re: No drugs? No alcohol or nicotine? No problem! - November 25th 2010, 08:13 PM

Brandon, kind of funny you mention this, my friend and I were having a conversation about something like this.

This friend and I are both drinkers, and we both smoke. Though I smoke cigarettes, and he smokes pot. And like, we agreed that it doesn't make a difference to us if someone drinks or not, smokes or not, tokes or not, etc. I mean, we've both known really cool people who didn't do any of those things. Hell, my boyfriend hardly ever has a drink, and doesn't smoke or do drugs. He very rarely smokes a clove cigarette, but thats the extent of it.

The reality is, no matter what you do, its how you present yourself that means the most. If you're going to be an arrogant dickhead, or nag out others for doing the stuff you don't do, then people are going to view you as an asshole, and THATS when they may start mocking your choices. That is how I am. I have my ways, you have yours. Put mine down, I'll bring yours down as well.

SO, its totally cool, as long as you're not some stuck-up ass-hat about it.

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

Closed Thread