View Single Post
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Kyeto-X Offline
Angel without a Halo
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Will

Points: 16,580, Level: 18 Points: 16,580, Level: 18 Points: 16,580, Level: 18

Re: Children learning about religion - January 17th 2011, 12:38 AM

In some colleges they offer a "world religions" class as an elective. (It's one offered at my school, and it's a private Christian institution.) I think something like that as a history/sociology credit would be good. It's not a bad thing to LEARN about other religions or religious beliefs in general. In my world civilization class, we had to name the five Pillars of Islam and know the differences between Shi'ite and Sunni Muslims. I saw no harm in that nor did I see anyone start to convert religions.

However, It needs to be an upper level course in grade school. We also learned about government in high school, and never once did my teacher say anything or persuaded any of us into any political party. I think if we design the curriculum into a survey course with little to no bias, then it should be a required course in order to become a world citizen and aware of other cultures.

If you want to learn more about any of these religions, either go to a religious center for that religion, or perhaps offer an ELECTIVE with signed parental consent, specific in that religion of choice.

"One of the things I regret the most of being able to imagine anything,
is having to fear nothing"

"Realty is a lot more malleable then most people think.
They just refuse to believe that they can do anything about it."

"If a simple electron has a small,
but nonzero chance of doing the impossible,
what is stopping us from doing the same thing?"

-Wise Sayings from a Raving Lunatic
Follow me and my new book on Facebook!