TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Religion and Spirituality, Science and Philosophy Use this forum to discuss what you believe in. This is a place where everyone may share their views freely.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Tara. Offline
You member.
I can't get enough

Points: 34,930, Level: 26 Points: 34,930, Level: 26 Points: 34,930, Level: 26

Children learning about religion - January 16th 2011, 11:31 PM

Would you feel comfortable with your children learning about religion at school (specifically public school)?

How far is too far when it comes to your child's teacher introducing him/her to new religions?

To you, everything's funny. - -
I'd give all I have, honey. - If you could stay like that.
Stay this little. - - I won't let nobody hurt you.
Just try to never grow up. - - Never grow up.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Points: 33,884, Level: 26 Points: 33,884, Level: 26 Points: 33,884, Level: 26

Re: Children learning about religion - January 16th 2011, 11:50 PM

As someone whose entire education was public, I personally wish I'd gotten some kind of religious instruction since, by my senior year we were just expected to know stuff (I got called on to answer a question about the Bible in English when I didn't raise my hand). Anyway, I would like my child to learn something about it or about different religions so they could make up their own mind about what to believe. I don't think it should be required in public school though. Maybe offer it as an elective and let parents and kids decide for themselves. As for how far is too far, introducing a religion or belief is fine, converting, or pushing a belief on students would be going too far.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Double X Offline
bee boop
I've been here a while

Name: Kyle

Points: 16,164, Level: 18 Points: 16,164, Level: 18 Points: 16,164, Level: 18

Re: Children learning about religion - January 17th 2011, 12:06 AM

Religion. In a publicly funded institution. I am giggling to myself

never. ever.

"We will ask nothing. We will demand nothing. We will take." -- May 1968, French Graffiti
3 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Points: 32,471, Level: 26 Points: 32,471, Level: 26 Points: 32,471, Level: 26

Re: Children learning about religion - January 17th 2011, 12:06 AM

I think that religious studies classes should be offered in middle in high school and some sort of course that would cover several different types of faith should be required at least once. It’s a major part of our lives and our society as a whole and correct informative information should be taught in older grades at least once mandatorily.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
MegaMadness Offline
Fight My Llama
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Megan

Points: 36,386, Level: 27 Points: 36,386, Level: 27 Points: 36,386, Level: 27

Re: Children learning about religion - January 17th 2011, 12:10 AM

As long as they teach all the major religions and don't force people into following any then I think it's fine.

Come on boys, come on girls
In this crazy, crazy world
You’re the diamonds, you’re the pearls
Let’s make a new tomorrow
Come on girls, come on boys
It’s your future, it’s your choice
And your weapon is your voice
Let’s make a new tomorrow
Today
follow me please. I'll follow back. http://photographicjournal.tumblr.com/
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
eunoia Offline
(n) beautiful thinking
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jes

Points: 53,926, Level: 33 Points: 53,926, Level: 33 Points: 53,926, Level: 33

Re: Children learning about religion - January 17th 2011, 12:35 AM

I think teaching about religion in public schools is fine. I attended public schools and was taught about many major religions. Teaching religion, though, in terms of what is and is not truth does not belong in public schools.

Someday I will be strong enough to lift not one but both of us.
I told you to be patient
I told you to be fine
I told you to be balanced
I told you to be kind
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Kyeto-X Offline
Angel without a Halo
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Will

Points: 16,580, Level: 18 Points: 16,580, Level: 18 Points: 16,580, Level: 18

Re: Children learning about religion - January 17th 2011, 12:38 AM

In some colleges they offer a "world religions" class as an elective. (It's one offered at my school, and it's a private Christian institution.) I think something like that as a history/sociology credit would be good. It's not a bad thing to LEARN about other religions or religious beliefs in general. In my world civilization class, we had to name the five Pillars of Islam and know the differences between Shi'ite and Sunni Muslims. I saw no harm in that nor did I see anyone start to convert religions.

However, It needs to be an upper level course in grade school. We also learned about government in high school, and never once did my teacher say anything or persuaded any of us into any political party. I think if we design the curriculum into a survey course with little to no bias, then it should be a required course in order to become a world citizen and aware of other cultures.

If you want to learn more about any of these religions, either go to a religious center for that religion, or perhaps offer an ELECTIVE with signed parental consent, specific in that religion of choice.

"One of the things I regret the most of being able to imagine anything,
is having to fear nothing"

"Realty is a lot more malleable then most people think.
They just refuse to believe that they can do anything about it."

"If a simple electron has a small,
but nonzero chance of doing the impossible,
what is stopping us from doing the same thing?"

-Wise Sayings from a Raving Lunatic
Follow me and my new book on Facebook!
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
John 6:29 Offline
Romans 2:6-8
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Points: 17,013, Level: 18 Points: 17,013, Level: 18 Points: 17,013, Level: 18

Re: Children learning about religion - January 17th 2011, 02:55 AM

Why? I personally don't see a point, but our education systems wastes countless money on needless other courses, so why not? I don't care. Either way is fine. However, I do believe that ID should look at as a possible explanation, which unfortunately, generally caries a very religious bias along with it.

"Daniel broke the kings decree, Peter stepped from the ship to the sea, there was hope for Job like a cut down tree... I hope that there's such hope for me... Blind as I've become, I used to wonder where you were. These days I can't find where You're not. Mine's been a yard carefully surface tended, foxes burrowed underground. Gardening so highly self-recommended, what could I have done but let You down? The sun and the moon, I want to see both worlds as one." -Aaron Weiss, mewithoutYou
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kitty

Points: 46,375, Level: 30 Points: 46,375, Level: 30 Points: 46,375, Level: 30

Re: Children learning about religion - January 17th 2011, 03:08 AM

I believe that children should learn about religion in public schools.
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Points: 25,797, Level: 23 Points: 25,797, Level: 23 Points: 25,797, Level: 23

Re: Children learning about religion - January 17th 2011, 03:18 AM

I wouldn't mind if they teach my children religion in school. Children should have at least a glimpse into the different religions because religion is part of our history. I really don't see why some people are saying there is no point to it.

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount31

Edit avatar

Re: Children learning about religion - January 17th 2011, 09:52 PM

I wouldn't mind if my child was given an overview of some of the major religions of today. I think exposure is a great thing, and I would want my child to decide for herself what she wanted to believe as a teenager and adult. Even when I attended Catholic school, I learned about religions like Islam and Judaism in both religion class and history. However, I would have a problem if the school was dwelling on one religion in particular and attempting to instill its values into the children. I definitely believe in a freedom of religion and I would not want anything to be forced on my child.
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Megan1 Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Points: 12,202, Level: 16 Points: 12,202, Level: 16 Points: 12,202, Level: 16

Re: Children learning about religion - January 17th 2011, 11:08 PM

Well, I am Christian and am definitely going to raise my kids as Christians. I am going to teach them to follow Jesus. I am also going to teach them ABOUT other religions just so they can be aware of other things in the world and aren't nieve. However, I don't know if I would really want them having a whole class about God in public school.....because I'd be afraid that the school wouldn't teach it in-depth or would teach it in a way that would just confuse my kids or turn them away from God because the messages are boring or don't make sense. Plus, I don't really like the idea of them learning about Jesus in order to get a grade in school- I want learning about Jesus in order to grow closer to Him, not to get a grade in school or because they have to.

I do want my kids to go to a school where God is incorporated into every class (meaning they will not teach anything that is against the bible like evolution, the teachers are Christians and can freely mention God's name, and everyone including teachers are allowed to pray). I wouldn't even think about sending them to a school if it didn't have that. My kids are going to Christian school for sure. I just don't really know if I want them to have an actual Christian class. They will be learning about God at home and church, they don't really need an actual class for that at school too. I want a school that is about God, but not nessicarily an actual bible class.

But if you mean a "world religions" type class where they learn about ALL religions and not just their own......that'd be fine with me once my kids are older (high school) if they want to take that. I am actually taking a World Religions class this year. It's good to know about other religions. If you are going to evangelise, you are going to get asked a LOT of questions about false religions and why they are wrong......so taking a class like that would help in that area a lot. I don't want my kids to be clueless, I do want them to know what is going on in the world with other people.
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Brandon

Points: 30,381, Level: 25 Points: 30,381, Level: 25 Points: 30,381, Level: 25

Re: Children learning about religion - January 17th 2011, 11:36 PM

Because religion is part of the world, there's no way that they can avoid it. Might as well teach about it. I don't think that any major religion should be excluded from teachings. Even if I was a Christian, I'd still want them to acknowledge and learn about what's out there. If I were to ever have a child, I'd want to be a father...not a dictator.
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
Heretic Offline
The Architect
I've been here a while

Name: [060191.1723]

Points: 21,320, Level: 21 Points: 21,320, Level: 21 Points: 21,320, Level: 21

Re: Children learning about religion - January 18th 2011, 12:10 AM

I took World Religions my junior year of high school, and I loved it.

I think that religious courses should be offered, but not until the high school level, when a child is old enough to understand the message and history of each religion. And I doubt that a teacher who is using an approved curriculum could convert a child, unless he was going against the rules and Supreme Court ruling that forbids teachers or schools from promoting any particular religious following, creed, or denomination.

Teaching about religion in a public, structured environment, using curriculum based on cultural ideas and history (while keeping a clear head) is a great way to avoid theophobia and misunderstanding among believers and non-believers about faiths and theologies they are unfamiliar with.

Ethos
Pathos
Logos

(#15 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Points: 19,936, Level: 20 Points: 19,936, Level: 20 Points: 19,936, Level: 20

Re: Children learning about religion - January 18th 2011, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double X View Post
Religion. In a publicly funded institution. I am giggling to myself

never. ever.
Interesting that you would prefer to perpetuate a state of ignorance about part of human history and society in an educational institution...

Anyway, as the above probably demonstrates I'm in favour of children being taught about religion in schools, and to be made more aware of all the major world religions and belief systems. I think I've lost count of the number of times I've heard people saying things on TV or the Internet which show they have very little idea what they're talking about and are regurgitating inane soundbites, and anything to promote knowledge and make the debate more rational is a good thing in my mind. I'd want all religions to be taught on an equal basis and properly evaluated, though, so people can come to their own decisions without being led one way or the other.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
Jocelyn. Offline
Now fight.
I've been here a while

Name: Joce

Points: 15,451, Level: 18 Points: 15,451, Level: 18 Points: 15,451, Level: 18

Re: Children learning about religion - January 18th 2011, 06:14 PM

All religions play a major role in the world around us, and even though I don't identify with any of them its still helpful to be informed about them. I would love for my son to be offered a World Religions class in high school.

When reality is a prison, your mind can set you free.
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
Fucking Done Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Points: 12,921, Level: 16 Points: 12,921, Level: 16 Points: 12,921, Level: 16

Re: Children learning about religion - January 18th 2011, 06:18 PM

Last thing I want is my kids to be learning about religion.
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#18 (permalink)) Old
BasicFacts Offline
A Soul Already Sold
Average Joe

Name: Kamillia

Points: 9,160, Level: 14 Points: 9,160, Level: 14 Points: 9,160, Level: 14

Re: Children learning about religion - January 18th 2011, 08:23 PM

I'm all for children learning about religion.

However.

It should NEVER be taught as fact. And they should be learning about all major religions (INCLUDING the lack thereof) rather than just, say, Christianity.

(#19 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount71

Edit avatar

Re: Children learning about religion - January 19th 2011, 01:39 AM

I think that a religious studies course should be a course option that's available to students. However, I think that such a course should give an accurate, unbiased overview of multiple religions, and not serve to favor or endorse a particular one.
  (#20 (permalink)) Old
Double X Offline
bee boop
I've been here a while

Re: Children learning about religion - January 19th 2011, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan1 View Post
I do want my kids to go to a school where God is incorporated into every class (meaning they will not teach anything that is against the bible like evolution, the teachers are Christians and can freely mention God's name, and everyone including teachers are allowed to pray). I wouldn't even think about sending them to a school if it didn't have that. My kids are going to Christian school for sure. I just don't really know if I want them to have an actual Christian class. They will be learning about God at home and church, they don't really need an actual class for that at school too. I want a school that is about God, but not nessicarily an actual bible class.
You sound like my friend's parents, who made him go to a Christian school. He is now atheist, and said most of his school was just superficially Christian. Good luck with that.

"We will ask nothing. We will demand nothing. We will take." -- May 1968, French Graffiti
  (#21 (permalink)) Old
Megan1 Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Children learning about religion - January 19th 2011, 02:36 AM

I can't force my kids to be Christians. If they tell me that they don't want to be Christians or don't want to go to Christian school, I can't force them because forcing them will only turn them farther away from God. However, I am going to raise them to WANT God as much as I possibly can. Of course it's possible that they will turn away anyways, and if so I will still love them just the same (just won't love their decision).

I know tons and tons of parents who raised their kids as Christians going to Christian school and the kids became Christians too, willingly. Of course that doesn't happen 100% of the time, but you can't say that my kids are going to turn away from God just because I send them to Christian school.
  (#22 (permalink)) Old
Ontheverge Offline
Average Joe

Points: 8,871, Level: 13 Points: 8,871, Level: 13 Points: 8,871, Level: 13

Re: Children learning about religion - January 19th 2011, 06:28 AM

Just mirroring what other people have said, there needs to be the balance of all the major religions.
Stopping religion being taught in school just seems a ridiculous idea. You may as well remove art and literature if we are going to remove some thing that is so anchored in our social identities.

The better part of valour is discretion - Shakespeare

We are punished by our sins, not for them - Elbert Hubbard
  (#23 (permalink)) Old
Double X Offline
bee boop
I've been here a while

Re: Children learning about religion - January 19th 2011, 01:15 PM

Quote:
I can't force my kids to be Christians. If they tell me that they don't want to be Christians or don't want to go to Christian school, I can't force them because forcing them will only turn them farther away from God. However, I am going to raise them to WANT God as much as I possibly can. Of course it's possible that they will turn away anyways, and if so I will still love them just the same (just won't love their decision).

I know tons and tons of parents who raised their kids as Christians going to Christian school and the kids became Christians too, willingly. Of course that doesn't happen 100% of the time, but you can't say that my kids are going to turn away from God just because I send them to Christian school.
I know. It sounded like you were saying that sending them to a Christian school will make them stronger in their faith. But if you are going to indoctrinate them from birth, the plan sounds good.

(#24 (permalink)) Old
Kyeto-X Offline
Angel without a Halo
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Will

Points: 16,580, Level: 18 Points: 16,580, Level: 18 Points: 16,580, Level: 18

Re: Children learning about religion - January 19th 2011, 05:29 PM

Quote:

I am IN a Christian school at the moment and I can tell you going to a christian school does not guarantee anything. In fact, being surrounded by so many like-minded people can make some people grow lazy in their faith by not being antagonized and having to defend anything, so they grow use to being spoon fed the Gospel and Bible and never having to DO anything to grow. Sometimes being in the world and meeting people with different ideas gives you more to defend your own ideas with.

"One of the things I regret the most of being able to imagine anything,
is having to fear nothing"

"Realty is a lot more malleable then most people think.
They just refuse to believe that they can do anything about it."

"If a simple electron has a small,
but nonzero chance of doing the impossible,
what is stopping us from doing the same thing?"

-Wise Sayings from a Raving Lunatic
Follow me and my new book on Facebook!
  (#25 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I am immortal. So far so good.
I can't get enough

Name: Matthew

Points: 38,917, Level: 28 Points: 38,917, Level: 28 Points: 38,917, Level: 28

Re: Children learning about religion - January 19th 2011, 06:02 PM

The only time religion should enter the lives of any child is during an RS lesson.
  (#26 (permalink)) Old
hopefaithlove Offline
I've been here a while

Points: 24,983, Level: 22 Points: 24,983, Level: 22 Points: 24,983, Level: 22

Re: Children learning about religion - January 19th 2011, 06:32 PM

I think it'd be awesome if teachers could teach all different religions throughout public school. As an education major, I'm taught that we have to teach about all different cultures and I think that in some cultures, religion is a HUGE part of it. It would've been neat to get information about all different religions. I took a World Religions class in college. It was interesting.

There is always hope. PM me anytime.
SH Free since 10.20.08
  (#27 (permalink)) Old
Marguerite Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Marguerite

Points: 19,635, Level: 20 Points: 19,635, Level: 20 Points: 19,635, Level: 20

Re: Children learning about religion - January 21st 2011, 08:36 PM

I went to a Catholic primary school and I'm an Atheist. I don't think sending a kid to a religious school really indoctrinates them. I was taught it as fact day in day out, daily prayers and weekly church visits and RE classes. It didn't make a difference because at home my mother, while technically Catholic and believed in God, was fairly indifferent to Catholicism. We never really talked about it and I didn't go to Church (outside of school).

If you teach your kids from an early age that God or Gods exist then until atleast a later age they will believe everything. I don't think school makes a difference.

In year six we got a choice whether we wanted to go through with comfirmation or not and I opted not too, so my disbelief in God isn't something I figured out later in life.

Personally though I am opposed to religion being taught in public schools as fact but I would encourage them to teach about different religions (as theories).

As for religious schools, I am not opposed to them.

To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never, to forget

~Arundhati Roy
  (#28 (permalink)) Old
Megan1 Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Children learning about religion - January 21st 2011, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyeto-X View Post
I am IN a Christian school at the moment and I can tell you going to a christian school does not guarantee anything. In fact, being surrounded by so many like-minded people can make some people grow lazy in their faith by not being antagonized and having to defend anything, so they grow use to being spoon fed the Gospel and Bible and never having to DO anything to grow. Sometimes being in the world and meeting people with different ideas gives you more to defend your own ideas with.
Of course it doesn't guarantee anything. Nothing guarantees that my kids will be Christians.....but if I raise them knowing the truth about God, they see their parents living it, AND they have Christian fellowship at school/church/home, there is a much better chance than if I do nothing.

And I definitely agree that they will need to sometimes be around non-Christians so that they can share their faith and grow stronger by knowing that there are other things out there and that the world isn't all a perfect happy Christian place. However, they can experience the "real world" without actually having to be a big part of it, simply by the random people who they meet every day. There are tons of non-Christian places that we will have to go every day (stores, the park, being around kids in the neighborhood, family, any extra curricular sports and acitivities that they are in outside of school, etc).
  (#29 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25

Re: Children learning about religion - January 22nd 2011, 03:59 AM

One religion I think would be interesting to have taught, and I may be biased on this, is Satanism, both theistic and atheistic sects. Many people shun this belief but not many seem to actually know much about it at all. Even if someone says they're a Setian (and probably explains what it is), they'll likely get condemned as a "devil worshiper" which is nonsense as it's not regarding Christianity or the other Abrahamic religions. Problem though with this would be enormous complaints from parents. I would teach my kid about Satanism, introduce them to the various texts, possibly churches (if I join one), etc... .

I'd be unsure if my kids were to learn about religions in school (private or public) because it's not going to be a representative view of all the religions, which is understandable. That means certain ones will be picked out and emphasized on according to what the school cirriculum and school board say. As long as one of the religions that is taught isn't emphasized more than the others that are taught, I'm less hesitant with it then. The other factors are whether this course(s) will be optional and at what grade would it be taught at.

I do think the kids should know of some of the dominant religions because they affect the world drastically but I also wouldn't want them to accept the religion according to what was taught without using their intelligence first to look at the opposing sides. Whether Intelligent Design or Creationism is taught, I don't really care but I suppose it would be if certain religions were taught. I wouldn't want it though to try to refute biological evolution because they're on two different levels as to the questions they answer, the paradigms they use and how the information is acquired.

I'm uncertain though if I'd like it as an optional class or a required class. I suppose it could become an optional one at higher grades but it's still something I'm conflicted about. My concerns are more of what is taught in it though. Once it gets to the point of saying one religion is the truth, non-believers in the class get condemned and so forth, that's something which could provoke interesting discussions but would have to be at a higher grade level for the students to have developed the higher reasoning.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)
  (#30 (permalink)) Old
emma01 Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Emma
Pronouns: She/her

Points: 17,794, Level: 19 Points: 17,794, Level: 19 Points: 17,794, Level: 19

Re: Children learning about religion - January 22nd 2011, 04:49 AM

Because all children are brought up differently, children will come across children with other beliefs and customs and I think that even though i HATE religious education at school, I think young children should learn it to accept other people who may be different. Because religion is such a big thing, they can't really not learn about it. I dont think there is any harm in learning it anyway, most of the time its not going to change what children think, as most children will follow their families (although if my child wanted to believe in God or something, I would have no problem with that). I have been learning Religious Studies since I can remember, and not once have I ever believed in any of it, mainly because my mum and I do not believe. It used to be quite fun though, but now I feel im missing out on another subject I could be learning and I pretty much use it as a bum class anyway, so now I am older I don't want to learn it so much, but for public schools, the young ones should learn it I think. But option for older children.
  (#31 (permalink)) Old
TheWhiteTornado Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Jack

Points: 16,004, Level: 18 Points: 16,004, Level: 18 Points: 16,004, Level: 18

Re: Children learning about religion - January 23rd 2011, 04:25 AM

I personally wouldn't see much of a problem with it, but I'd say they cross the line when they don't tolerate other religions. If it was to be taught in school at all I'd be happiest if there was equal education on the major religions (I say major as saying every one of them would be unrealistic). I don't see an issue so long as there's no intolerance or repression of expression.

"What do we live for, if not to make life less difficult for each other?"
-George Eliot

"Each morning when I open my eyes I say to myself: I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it."
-Groucho Marx

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid that it will never begin."
-Grace Hansen
  (#32 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Name: Amanda.

Points: 48,277, Level: 31 Points: 48,277, Level: 31 Points: 48,277, Level: 31

Re: Children learning about religion - January 23rd 2011, 01:43 PM

I think that kids have the right to learn about religion. It's not fair to automatically wish for them to have the same beliefs as their parents. It's only fair to have them educated on many religions so they can decide themselves what they believe.

A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts

(#33 (permalink)) Old
Rosalie Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Rosalie

Points: 8,579, Level: 13 Points: 8,579, Level: 13 Points: 8,579, Level: 13

Re: Children learning about religion - January 24th 2011, 07:53 PM

I think that introducing children to different religions (I.E. the Muslims believe...Jewish faith is based off of...) is really beneficial, but telling them that a certain religion is "right" or "true" isn't right.

"I don't care. I'll start my own group. Rejection from society is what created The X-Men!"
  (#34 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I am immortal. So far so good.
I can't get enough

Name: Matthew

Points: 38,917, Level: 28 Points: 38,917, Level: 28 Points: 38,917, Level: 28

Re: Children learning about religion - January 24th 2011, 08:06 PM

Teach them about the main religions, and teach them equally. I don't like the idea that religion is in children's lives, but if the family are religious, it's monumentally important that they learn that there is no objectively correct religion.
Closed Thread